4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension input

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:18 PM
WishIhadaTerminator

Default Suspension input

Greetings everyone,

I'd love your input. I've been biding my time, saving my cash, and gearing up to really start modding my car. I was leaning toward gears & tune first, but after some serious consideration I've decided to wait a little longer, and go suspension before everything. I've read Jazzer's Suspension thread, and formulated a plan.

Currently it's my dd, I don't plan on taking her to the track, but I do want it to handle like a beast out on some surrounding country roads. My budget is around $1,500.

I've been looking at:

The Eibach Sport System Plus:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...stem-9404.html

It has a nice aggressive set of springs, eibach shocks and struts, and front and rear sway bars. I don't know if this is too low for my purposes. The description says it's a 2 in drop, the comments say it's a little less.

With this I'd buy new isolaters as well.

Some Steeda CC plates:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/stal4cacapl.html

A Steeda bumpsteer kit:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/stbukit94b.html

and New Steeda Ball Joints:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/stx2bajokit.html

After all of this, a little while down the road I'll get some FLSFCs, some tower braces, and maybe a new LCA.

I know if I don't use the spacers with the new ball joints I'll get another 0.5in drop in the front. with my roughly 2 in drop in the front would that be too low? I guess I would end up using the spacers. Perhaps I should go with the Eibach pro-system as opposed to the Sport, and leave out the spacers?

I've also been looking at Maximum Motorsports' Sport box:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=964

It has a lot of the same parts, and some different ones as well.

What do you all think? Maybe even the almighty suspension Guru himself Jazzer will weigh in... lol
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Hey, WishIhadaBadAssRideLikeTheKitty

I am sorry, but I do not recommend that kit It not only comes with a set of solid poly/poly UCA's (VERY bad and mucho information about their issues in my suspension guide), but Eibach springs have many complaints about sagging over time. I am also not soo sure that sway bars are a good thing, at this point. They are a tuning device and not a fan of them included in a kit (the exception being maybe a Bullitt kit, with an othewise 100% OEM ride)

Unless your OEM ISO's are shot, I recommend you just re-use them, or run without them, if they are shot.

Strut tower braces are of almost no benefit, unless you were a VERY aggressive corner-carver. In such a case, I would recommend you just install a new tube "K" later on down the road.

The MM Sport Box will take you farther than the Eibach kit, just dump the STB from it. Run the OEM uppers out back and look to add a TA to this MM kit one day and you will leap frog well beyond the Eibach kit.

Jazzer
Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Hey, WishIhadaBadAssRideLikeTheKitty

I am sorry, but I do not recommend that kit It not only comes with a set of solid poly/poly UCA's (VERY bad and mucho information about their issues in my suspension guide), but Eibach springs have many complaints about sagging over time. I am also not soo sure that sway bars are a good thing, at this point. They are a tuning device and not a fan of them included in a kit (the exception being maybe a Bullitt kit, with an othewise 100% OEM ride)

Unless your OEM ISO's are shot, I recommend you just re-use them, or run without them, if they are shot.

Strut tower braces are of almost no benefit, unless you were a VERY aggressive corner-carver. In such a case, I would recommend you just install a new tube "K" later on down the road.

The MM Sport Box will take you farther than the Eibach kit, just dump the STB from it. Run the OEM uppers out back and look to add a TA to this MM kit one day and you will leap frog well beyond the Eibach kit.

Jazzer
Lol at WishIhadaBadAssRideLikeTheKitty

I highly 2nd what Jazzer said.

But if you're really looking to get into cornering, you should look into coil-overs. You may be better off going the MM Road and Track package route, buying it piece by piece as it is a little more pricey. I know a lot of guys will argue for or against this, but doing an IRS swap from a cobra might be something to look into as well.

Do your research and figure out a plan for your car before you start pumping money into the car, only to replace parts you've already bought. Don't forget about tires and brakes!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
WishIhadaTerminator

Thanks for the responses guys.

Jazzer don't be sorry lol, you just saved me from buying a subpar suspension package! But, I don't see the eibach kit in question mentioning any control arms... Are they included and I'm not reading it right?

It looks like I'm going to go with the MM Sport Box (minus the Strut Tower Brace). Though I notice it also doesn't mention anything about UCA's/LCA's...could I just stay stock with both, or am I missing something; you mentioned running stock UCA's but I don't see any aftermarket LCA's in the MM kit, guess I'd be adding them? Would you agree that I should also get the bumpsteer kit and new Ball joints I mentioned?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that if I'm going to do suspension I want to do it right (it doesn't need to be a track monster, just needs to be capable of some mild carving out on some roads here in Sonoma County and down Hwy 1). My Step-dad-in-law is going to be walking me through all the installation. He is a total Gear head, yet he leans towards the Beemer persuasion, so I can't get dead-on Mustang advice from him.

@Calhoun: Brakes are next on my list, I'll probably just swap the lines out for some stainless steel, and upgrade the pads and fluid.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK... I was confused because this is an S197 package pictured. Now that I take a closer look, I see what are rear sway-bar parts in the lower RH corner, just next to the upward bend of the sway bar. AM is aweful about having S197 images on SN95 parts

MM does not offer UCA's, as they understand how lousy they are for those looking to carve corners. They "may" offer a set of FRPP uppers, but I would not recommend those either. That particular MM box does not include LCA's, but ALL of MM's LCA's are an upgrade over your OEM ones. You don't have to get MM ones, so you can peep my guide for what I think is a good choice, based on your driving needs.

I don't know much about the 2x ball-joints to give a good opinion one way or another, but a BS kit is a nice idea.

Jazzer
Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I amatter of fact I hadabadasskittyonastickatthechinesebuffet, I agree with Jazzer Poly/Poly should be avoided.
You won't have a best at the drag strip and a beast cutting corners, its to different of worlds.