4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Swap engine, best idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Synyster

Default Swap engine, best idea?

Hey everyone I have a 1998 mustang gt that is quite dead already. Had a small knocking before the starter went also so I'm wondering if a swap is better then to just rebuild the engine and all. There is a lot of crashed mustang gts (sadly) here and most of them are the 99-04 models.
My two questions are
1. Would the 99-04 4.6 engine bolt right up to my auto trans?
2. Could I carry and bolt my current full exhaust to 99-04 headers?

I apologize for annoying anyone cause I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this but yeah.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Synyster
Hey everyone I have a 1998 mustang gt that is quite dead already. Had a small knocking before the starter went also so I'm wondering if a swap is better then to just rebuild the engine and all. There is a lot of crashed mustang gts (sadly) here and most of them are the 99-04 models.
My two questions are
1. Would the 99-04 4.6 engine bolt right up to my auto trans?
2. Could I carry and bolt my current full exhaust to 99-04 headers?

I apologize for annoying anyone cause I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this but yeah.
It will bolt right up to the transmission, but you need to make sure your old pressure plate will bolt to the new motor, somewhere between 99-04 there was a change in the flywheel size and the older models were slightly smaller in diameter. You will also need to get the computer from that car or a tuner since this will have the PI(performance improved) heads, cams, and intake. I feel sure everything else should be the same, you may have to get a new belt since the newer motors have a different belt routing and your full exhaust will bolt up fine.

If you are going to do a rebuild, make sure to take your time and get a full rebuild kit with everything you will need. It would be wise to get a Chilton manual as it tells you everything you need to know about tearing the motor down and putting it back together and there are quite a few special tools you would need to borrow/rent. I would also get forged stuff if you are going to rebuild. It's only maybe $5-600 more than using stock replacement.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Synyster

Originally Posted by JeremyB
It will bolt right up to the transmission, but you need to make sure your old pressure plate will bolt to the new motor, somewhere between 99-04 there was a change in the flywheel size and the older models were slightly smaller in diameter. You will also need to get the computer from that car or a tuner since this will have the PI(performance improved) heads, cams, and intake. I feel sure everything else should be the same, you may have to get a new belt since the newer motors have a different belt routing and your full exhaust will bolt up fine.

If you are going to do a rebuild, make sure to take your time and get a full rebuild kit with everything you will need. It would be wise to get a Chilton manual as it tells you everything you need to know about tearing the motor down and putting it back together and there are quite a few special tools you would need to borrow/rent. I would also get forged stuff if you are going to rebuild. It's only maybe $5-600 more than using stock replacement.
Thank you for the fast and good response. I appreciate it. I think I will just go with a swap then. The only downside is sadly it's not a do it yourself job as I have no tools so this has to be all paid for, taking it to a mechanic and all. Blah. In the bright side the motors go cheap around here and some as a bundle with the transmission included along with the ecu, cluster and such for only 600-1000.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 PM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Synyster
Thank you for the fast and good response. I appreciate it. I think I will just go with a swap then. The only downside is sadly it's not a do it yourself job as I have no tools so this has to be all paid for, taking it to a mechanic and all. Blah. In the bright side the motors go cheap around here and some as a bundle with the transmission included along with the ecu, cluster and such for only 600-1000.
I swapped mine myself but I had gotten prices from around $500-800 to swap the motor if I supplied everything
Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Synyster

Originally Posted by JeremyB
I swapped mine myself but I had gotten prices from around $500-800 to swap the motor if I supplied everything
That doesn't sound too bad I suppose, still hurts my wallet at the end. :'( I'll have to go to shops around here to see their prices. Thanks again though Jeremy.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

You should see a 30-40 hp gain.I believe somewhere along the line Ford changed the intake during those years.Earlier models had a plastic crossover or something on them which cracked and broke.They switched them to aluminum I believe on the later models.I'm not sure when they made the change.I would find out and get one with the newer intake on it.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
04camaroeater
1st Gear Member

The previous owner had the engine swapped in my car and the receipt shows that it $900 to have it done. That included everything!! Good luck