4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1998 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Dooney
1st Gear Member

As far as intakes go just get a plastic PI intake. They will be cheaper and they are you best option until you are around the 450-500hp mark or running forced induction. Can't help you with the heads, never had to do the swap myself. But as for the injectors no. You do not want that big of an injector. 60# injectors are huge and only needed for forced induction. (which is why they are on the 03 cobra) I would recommend somewhere around the 24# for what you are running right now
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Your not going to get suspension thats awsom at the strip and awsom at the scaa, if u want both your going to havr to settle for an "ok" setup for both fields.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

And for a track desicated car you should def weld and reinforce the torque boxes
Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by superhawk
Okay well i just got a 98 gt in silver. I picked it up cheap because it had a motor and tranny swap recently done to it. The car has exactly 100,000 miles on the body and unknown on the motor and tranny. It has 03 cobra dominator wheels on it, ebiach lowering springs and a fiberglass hood. Im looking to invest in some upgrades. Im purposely building this car for the track. Both the drag strip and for SCCA races in the midwest. Im trying to figure out what the best bang for my buck is and what actually is worth it. Below is a list of the parts i have sorta picked out and what direction i kinda want to go with the car. Any input would be great. I eventually want to move to a stroker build (when the motor goes or i have spare time and cash). Or maybe a turbo build.

-Stainless Steel long tube header (pacemakers)
-Cold air Intake (Bcp racing)
-Cams (not sure on size yet)(want a real loppy idle)
-Msd coils and wires(10.2 mm wires)
-Msd tach adapter
-Sct livewire tuner
-Throttle body spacer
-Throttle body (either twin 62mm BBK or 90mm polished)
-short throw shifter
-new clutch (6 puck)
-steeda underdrive pulley set
-Different rear end gears

For a dual purpose track car, I'd recommend UPR Pro Series front and rear suspension with adjustable dampeners, like Koni Yellows, and a reasonable spring rate which won't be too stiff for drag racing. You'll soften your dampeners for drag racing, and disconnect the front sway bar on the drag strip, but other than that, it won't require much work to switch racing venues, and it will be a good compromise between drag & cornering.

www.uprproducts.com
Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

on the head gasket, i beleive there is no difference in the years but get the 99-04 if so. also go with the ford racing gaskets
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Originally Posted by superhawk
I know those heads dont come with cams but new cams are coming in anyways. And the Heads are Romeos so i wouldnt have to get new valve covers? is there anything else you can think of i would need for that? Would i need 01^ head gaskets or 98 gaskets? Also i found 60# injectors but there off my friends 03 cobra? Would these fit my 4.6?
Simple, when you go to autozone, O' Rileys, etc to order your gaskets, they will give them to you based off the year you state. So if you get a 99-04 setup, then order the gaskets for that.

No need for 60lb injectors. Unless you're running high levels of boost, which a stock 4.6L CAN NOT TAKE, there are no need for 60 pounders. Your stock injectors will hold well up to around 280-300 rwhp.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
on the head gasket, i beleive there is no difference in the years but get the 99-04 if so. also go with the ford racing gaskets
i got curious so i looked it up, all 2v head gaskets are the same
http://www.modularheadshop.com/2VHG.aspx
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM
superhawk

okay so i have been doing my research and just figureing everything. I know that a 2000 f150 and mustang have diffeerent engine parts.(same internals, pan, heads, but the intake up is different, not sure on the cams?) but i think im just going to go to a junkyard and pull the heads and intake off of f150. My reasoning is that a f150 will be easier to find and i will just port everything that i pull off that and then upgrade the pleum and throttle body. I would bump up the compresion a little bit to increase power but im working my way into a turbo build so i want to keep the compression down. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are and what you have to say about it.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Heads and cams are in fact the same, however the f-150 intake is taller so you may have some hood clearance issues.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
superhawk

thats perfecty fine to me! milling out a hole and putting an air filter right at the end of it, well right after the maf.

Quick Reply: 1998 Upgrades