4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Couple issues???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 PM
mdubbs

Default Couple issues???

First, i have a newly installed king cobra clutch, resurfaced flywheel,new throwout, pilot and rear main seal. Clutch is nice, when it Warms up. I got the steeda firewall adjuster and clutch quad on the first hook. Stock cable. In the morning when it is cold I sometimes have to pump the clutch to get it into gear smoothly. The clutch grabs right as i let off the floor.I mean immediate. As it warms and the car is started for the second time it grabs nicely about 1.5" off the floor. WHAT the hell??? New clutch has about 1000 miles on it.

2nd issue. When i put it in reverse and begin to back up i get one loud clunk sound. It is only one clunk and happens after about 2 ft of backing up. What could this be. It does not happen in any forward gears. I just replaced the u joints with ones with grease fittings. Any ideas???

Other than that i installed the bassani stainless steel X pipe with SLP LM2's and it is nasty.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
mdubbs

anyone have any ideas, i would really appreciate it.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

even when it is warm at about 1.5" from the floor is close, that should be adjusted back first off.
the reverse issue IDK, I would check the u joints with your hands (car safely lifted of course) turn the driveshaft and check for play, but that is weird.
hopefully my bump will get more responses
Old 09-05-2008, 11:43 AM
mdubbs

thanks for the bump. It is really strange. First off there is no freeplay at the top of the pedal. NONE. If i adjust it in a little the car will not go into gear. I want to adjust it out even further but the firewall adjuster would be hard to turn. I must have got all the freeplay out of the cable and it is just putting some real pressure on the pp fingers. I ordered a new maximum performance cable from AM but it was too short. The stock one is doing nicely. Other than a cold start the clutch has been great.

The reverse thing i think has something to do with the clutch. It must be. I mean if i let the clutch out kinda quick it will clunk. When i start the car and reverse it does one clunk. I stop completely and reverse again, no clunk. Somehow energy builds in this thing and releases once. I don't know. Also I get clutch smell sometimes only in reverse, never in forward gears. This clutch does not like to be slipped or take heat. I let it out and slip it just enough to get rolling then throw it in neutral. Again it's a Ford Racing King Cobra Clutch.

Any other suggestions?