4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

t-45/t-3650 same transmission different casting number????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default 3650 vs t45

Originally Posted by massred98gt
thanks for the response. so i gues i won't be mix matching parts but still buying the tranny maybe putting it in my car in the future when mine comepletel s**ts the bed. again thanks for all ur help guys
Glad to help. There is more confusion over Mustang transmissions than any other component in the car. I am happy to shed some light. AP
Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanPowertrain
Glad to help. There is more confusion over Mustang transmissions than any other component in the car. I am happy to shed some light. AP
I was hoping that you would chime in when started reading the wrong responses above.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default Chiming in...

Originally Posted by BraMas
I was hoping that you would chime in when started reading the wrong responses above.
I try to troll for transmission threads where I can be some help, and maybe sell a gearbox once in a while, but it is hard to keep up. Feel free to IM me with a post reference when I don't find it for myself.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:37 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

you're damn stright lol i won't touch the innards of a tranny but i'll try anything else.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default Transmission Work

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
you're damn stright lol i won't touch the innards of a tranny but i'll try anything else.
That's why we got your back!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Sorry to stop this thread on a dime, but here is the real story from a guy who has seen the guts of each and knows the guys at Tremec personally. Here goes.

The t45 is a Borg Warner transmission, designed for the Mustang by BW before Tremec bought their manual transmission division. It's roots have nothing to do with Tremec.

When Tremec bought BW the t45 was costing them so much money in warranty repairs that they immediately yanked it and put in their own 3650.

The 3650 is a ground up design from Tremec and does not share a common gene with the t45. The similarities stem from the fact that they fit the same cars and serve the same purpose, not because they had any common ancestry. A lot of our customers swap the 3650 in for the t45 because they are so similar in application, but from an engineering standpoint they are very different.

I hope this clears things up! AP
Good stuff! That dispels alot of the myths that the T-45/3650 are close relatives. I was always told that's the case from a few tranny builders but it seems like you guys have the inside scoop!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default Thanks, and a bit of off topic stuff

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Good stuff! That dispels alot of the myths that the T-45/3650 are close relatives. I was always told that's the case from a few tranny builders but it seems like you guys have the inside scoop!
Just like it probably drives a doctor crazy to hear infomercials about how some plant extract from Zimbabwe can cure cancer, it grates on my brain when I see misinformation about transmission systems. The more knowledge I can add to the community the better off everyone will be.

Off topic: Every time you post I have to go to slacker.com and bring up a Thin Lizzy song and listen to it. They are a great band but I often forget about them.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Off topic: Every time you post I have to go to slacker.com and bring up a Thin Lizzy song and listen to it. They are a great band but I often forget about them.
Yea, most Americans do not realise how great they are/were!!!More to them than Jailbreak and Boys are Back in Town
Old 12-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

They look similar on the outside, but a re completely different on the inside. The 3650 has 3 "shift fork rods?" where as the T45 don't. Its a whole different layout.
Here are some pics of mine on the inside:

Here was when we had it out the first time.. lol . 2nd gear synchros took a crap:

An easy way to tell the difference from the outside is the drainplug.

If its on the bottom its a 3650

Last edited by Quicktime_GT; 12-21-2008 at 12:59 PM.