4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Engine Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:35 AM
jewh4

Default New Engine Ideas?

Well I finished off my mustang Tuesday, here in Germany getting off the autobahn. I am looking at building a new motor myself, but do not know exactly what I need to hit my goal. I am looking to build something that will put down about 500-550 rwhp but be a daily driver. I already have moser 31 spline axles, frpp 3.73's, 31 spline traction lock and a king cobra clutch kit. Any ideas on what I need to hit my goal and where I can buy it? I don't want to go crazy buying crap I don't need, but do want a stout motor. I want to go fi (kenne bell) but probably want be able to buy the kit until after the rebuild. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:58 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

well we need to know ALOT more about the car you have.. like.. year model etc. in any sense if your going over 500hp your going to need forged rotating assembly to play it safe. if your concerned about money, kenne bell is on the higher end or priced superchargers, vortech you can peice together with a used head unit for alot cheaper. there is a sticky on a $1500 supercharger build. You aren't talking about anything cheap here. you are going to have to upgrade you fuel management, probably change or strengthen your tranny, forged internals, you can port and polish your heads/intake. I'm actually doing this exact same build myself. I bought a teksid block ( comes in cobras stock) and i'm building on the side, I'm going to pick up a procharger tonight if all goes well, and then work on the rotating assembly on the new block. Not to mention suspension, your going to need alot of work as far as traction goes, control arms, subframe connectors, bigger tires. but again, i have no idea what kind of car you have, so some of this may already be done, like an '03 cobra for example haha. hope this gets your started in the right direction with the limited info you've given.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:39 AM
jewh4

Sorry, its a 1999 GT Vert. As far as suspension goes, I curremtly have eibach sportlines but will be getting coilovers. I do have subframe connectors but will need to upgrade the upper and lower control arms. I plan to use my top end (intake, cai) until I can get the KB supercharger. I really need to get the block, heads, cam, and fuel ready. Being in Germany, I am kind of worried about getting it tuned. I was thinking of getting a built short block (haven't decided where) with a forged crank, forged H beam rods, and forged dish pistons. Also, CNC ported/polished heads. I have no idea what kind of cams would be best.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:57 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Custom cams. Tfs heads, built bottom end... You'll be mid 300s at the wheèl... Better get that kb too
Old 08-08-2009, 04:21 PM
WhiteNoise

Originally Posted by jewh4
Sorry, its a 1999 GT Vert. As far as suspension goes, I curremtly have eibach sportlines but will be getting coilovers. I do have subframe connectors but will need to upgrade the upper and lower control arms. I plan to use my top end (intake, cai) until I can get the KB supercharger. I really need to get the block, heads, cam, and fuel ready. Being in Germany, I am kind of worried about getting it tuned. I was thinking of getting a built short block (haven't decided where) with a forged crank, forged H beam rods, and forged dish pistons. Also, CNC ported/polished heads. I have no idea what kind of cams would be best.
i just left germany a few moths ago. i have a couple buddies up in schweinfurt that can help u build, tune or whatever u want to ur car. plus they have tons of hook ups, so let me know.
tip= dont drive ur car on the nurburgring if its rained within a few days of going. u have been warned!!