4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Horrible grinding noise from rear end... need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Whatever is going on CLIFFY we are all hoping it turns out well for you!!!
You are the best asset we have on this forum.
+1, Cliffy has helped me out with many things most people would have not.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

Have you checked the rear brake slider pins? I had some weird grinding noises a while back and found the pins were frozen. Got new ones and all was well again. Saw this many times on sn95's.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Ok so this is on my 2000GT, its a metal on metal grinding noise coming from somewhere in the rear. I had my buddy listen and he said it sounds like its coming from both sides of the car in the back.

It sounds very similar to what a brake caliper would sound like on a rotor with no pad left and seems to go with wheel rotation. It also seems to only happen when the car has been driven and is warm. Also only at low speeds while I'm slipping the clutch (clutch slipping is probably unrelated, it's just because it only happens at low speeds). Once I'm moving the sound goes away and my buddy also said it seems to sound louder in the car than outside it.

I have no idea what this can be. My universals on my driveshaft seem tight and I see no clean scrapes on the driveshaft or rotors from something maybe rubbing it. I pulled on the rear wheels left and right and top to bottom with the car in the air to test wheel bearings and they seem tight as well. Oh and I checked my brakes pads too, they're fine so it's not the pads. I also jacked the car up and tried to create the noise with the car in the air, but it will only do it while the car is on the ground at low speeds (under 5 mph). What can this be, it's driving me nuts and I don't want a wheel bearing to fail while I'm driving or something of the like.
Maybe the hooker in the trunk isn't dead and she got out of her handcuffs...?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wolverine8490
Have you checked the rear brake slider pins? I had some weird grinding noises a while back and found the pins were frozen. Got new ones and all was well again. Saw this many times on sn95's.
Really? that's weird they can make a grinding noise. I just greased them around 60k miles, but I'll definitely check that out that beats pulling the diff cover. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by Meester_Vapor
Maybe the hooker in the trunk isn't dead and she got out of her handcuffs...?
She's dead, have no fear. The stereo + exhaust DB readings in the truck are too high to sustain human life.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Had the car checked out and the mechanic said without taking anything apart he's 90% sure its a bad pinion bearing, looks like it's time for some 4.10's.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:31 AM
Coby123

I have a 94 gt mustang , and it's making a grinding noise sounds like it could be coming from the rear end or left Axel , only does it when making a right turn or going to the right around a curve , it gets worse while slowing down , I changed the Axel bearing took the whole rear end apart checked all the bearings in there they all looked good cause I was going to replace them too but they looked and felt new , put it back together and still making the same noise.... When making a left turn it doesn't make a sound. Any help ???
Old 03-02-2016, 12:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Coby123
I have a 94 gt mustang , and it's making a grinding noise sounds like it could be coming from the rear end or left Axel , only does it when making a right turn or going to the right around a curve , it gets worse while slowing down , I changed the Axel bearing took the whole rear end apart checked all the bearings in there they all looked good cause I was going to replace them too but they looked and felt new , put it back together and still making the same noise.... When making a left turn it doesn't make a sound. Any help ???
It is most likely that the traction-lok clutch packs are shot. This could be just old age, or that the differential was run on dino fluid without friction modifier added...
Old 03-03-2016, 12:28 AM
Coby123

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It is most likely that the traction-lok clutch packs are shot. This could be just old age, or that the differential was run on dino fluid without friction modifier added...
I replaced the clutches before I put the wheel bearings in because I thought that's what it was it was still making the noise that's why I tore it back down to check the bearings , and it seems to be getting worse everytime I drive it , it sounds like gears grinding or some type of roaring/grinding noise