4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Firm up a convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 AM
jonrjen

Default Firm up a convertible?

Well, my search continues for my next Mustang. I have narrowed it down, it will be a GT convertible in the 1998 to 2004 model year range.....don't get me wrong, if the correct Cobra convt came along at a killer price, all stock OEM equipped I would be open to a Cobra. But, finding a straight stock non abused Cobra is not as easy as one would think.

I am more of a looking for a little driving pleasure on a nice day person, not an I need the power to the ground required individual. I've been doing a little soul searching as to what I am really looking for, and have deceided that I don't want to go for someone elses project and wonder what has and has not been done properly. Plus, if I start with a clean slate, it will be my choice of direction if it enters a performance build later.

Having had a 1999 convt best I can recall it was a little more than flexish at time. While I am looking to keep the stance as close to factory, I would like to firm up the flex issues. My thought is that a pair of full length frame connectors (welded), rear shock tower, and front strut brace should help address the matter.

Am I on the right track?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Absolutely
Old 07-14-2012, 02:12 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

My sister had a 99 GT Convertible and I noticed the flex that you are talking about, but my 1996 GT Convertible is way stiffer. I do have the stock shock tower brace up front, which probably helps.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jonrjen
Well, my search continues for my next Mustang. I have narrowed it down, it will be a GT convertible in the 1998 to 2004 model year range.....don't get me wrong, if the correct Cobra convt came along at a killer price, all stock OEM equipped I would be open to a Cobra. But, finding a straight stock non abused Cobra is not as easy as one would think.

I am more of a looking for a little driving pleasure on a nice day person, not an I need the power to the ground required individual. I've been doing a little soul searching as to what I am really looking for, and have deceided that I don't want to go for someone elses project and wonder what has and has not been done properly. Plus, if I start with a clean slate, it will be my choice of direction if it enters a performance build later.

Having had a 1999 convt best I can recall it was a little more than flexish at time. While I am looking to keep the stance as close to factory, I would like to firm up the flex issues. My thought is that a pair of full length frame connectors (welded), rear shock tower, and front strut brace should help address the matter.

Am I on the right track?
Yessir.

FLSFCs:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-f...onnectors.html

strut tower brace:
http://www.uprproducts.com/bbk-musta...-black-94.html

Then you can start upgrading the suspension. The suspension mods won't tighten up the chassis, but they'll tighten up the suspension.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I've noticed the flex on my convertible as well. My car is a DD and I don't abuse is too much. You guys think it would be worth it to get Full length subframe connectors?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FormlessGT
Yeah, I've noticed the flex on my convertible as well. My car is a DD and I don't abuse is too much. You guys think it would be worth it to get Full length subframe connectors?
Full length subframe connectors will tighten up the body roll
you get when you make turns and overall firm up the ride quality.
Get full length subframe connectors if you don't mind adding
35 pounds or so to you mustang because they do weight some
but they will benefit your mustang though with good ride quality.
Suspension would be the first place I would start on a convertiable
mustang.I would also consider some nice springs and struts and shocks
they will help too.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FormlessGT
flsfc's should be one of the first mods anyone with a vert does, the stock bolt in subframes are crap and you will notice a night and day difference once you install them. They are well worth the money to put on a coupe or vert but verts definitely need them. And ignore anything the troll blade****er says.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:07 AM
Riverrat 1948

Looking to install the sub-frame connectors on my 2002 GT vert. I have a question about the factory bolt-on ones on the car now. Would they be in the way of welding the new sub-frames? If not, would you recommend removing them anyway.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riverrat 1948
Looking to install the sub-frame connectors on my 2002 GT vert. I have a question about the factory bolt-on ones on the car now. Would they be in the way of welding the new sub-frames? If not, would you recommend removing them anyway.
The stock ones - which to add a little commentary, are useless. In order to be "subframe connectors", they would first actually need to be long enough as to make a physical connection between the front and rear subframes of the vehicle. And then following that, they would need to be much more rigid than what they are in order to be effective.

You'll immediately notice the difference in quality and rigity (thicker steel) between "real" aftermarket sfc's and the stock ones once you get them and unbox them.

To get off my soap box and answer your question though, the stock ones will be unbolted and discarded when you install aftermarket sfc's.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Riverrat 1948

Thanks, Z28KLR. I will make sure the shop that installs the new ones, the old ones are removed.