4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help, TR-3650 shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Default Help, TR-3650 shifting issue

Sooooo, lately my tranny has been really hard to shift in all gears including reverse. It's SUPER notchy and doesn't want to get into gear sometimes unless im feathering it in... I'm wondering if it needs the oil changed at this point but it's baddddd. I'm currently running. royal purple synchromax in it. It has not been changed since like..um..2006?

Anyways , has anyone wit the same transmission had this issue corrected with A similar problem? Is it more than n oil change issue ya think?.what oil should I go with? I heard Mobil 1 ATF could be better than RP?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Your clutch cable may be stretched. Pretty much had the same issue. If you havent already, consider buying a clutch cable kit along with a quadrant. That solved my issue. I went with the Steeda kit.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Have you tried adjusting the cable? Like stated above either the cable is stretching or the clutch itself is on its way south...Push the pedal to the floor twice, let up, and then pull the pedal up towards you (driver seat) and if its not in adjustment anymore, you will hear some clicks.. If its good, it wont move or click at all. If that doesnt work, I'd look into the condition of the clutch..
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

I have a Steeda firewall adjuster and Steeda quick release quadrant. I'm going to try adjusting the adjuster counterclockwise and see if it helps..
Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
I have a Steeda firewall adjuster and Steeda quick release quadrant. I'm going to try adjusting the adjuster counterclockwise and see if it helps..
Well that kinda rules out what I posted lol. Definitely try to adjust that cable. 3650s are known for synchro issues but problems with every gear all at once is a clutch issue
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Well that kinda rules out what I posted lol. Definitely try to adjust that cable. 3650s are known for synchro issues but problems with every gear all at once is a clutch issue
But. No my clutch can't be bad yet! I refuse! Lol
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
Sooooo, lately my tranny has been really hard to shift in all gears including reverse. It's SUPER notchy and doesn't want to get into gear sometimes unless im feathering it in... I'm wondering if it needs the oil changed at this point but it's baddddd. I'm currently running. royal purple synchromax in it. It has not been changed since like..um..2006?

Anyways , has anyone wit the same transmission had this issue corrected with A similar problem? Is it more than n oil change issue ya think?.what oil should I go with? I heard Mobil 1 ATF could be better than RP?
06? yeah, it sure wouldn't hurt to change that fluid. M1 ATF is very good, whether better/worse than RP (or any other brand you want to choose) is something that has been repeatedly beaten to death and beyond. But one thing about M1 is that it is 'OEM'. Also make sure you don't overfill... the fill amount was changed in about '02 but it applies to all years of our cars.