4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Turbo four

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

Default Turbo four

Well, I got a hell of a deal on a rebuilt turbo motor and some other miscelanious parts, the motor is a 85 svo block, 86 merkur head, IHI turbo (not rebuilt but zero shaft play) square style intake, ranger roller cam and followers, and lunati valve springs. Some of the things he mentioned that were repaired during the rebuild was the crank was tuned .1 or .01 and ballanced, new rings, heads rebuild included hardened valve seats, modifications for the cam, general wear and tear items, oil pump water pump thermostat, and probably some things I'm forgetting (he enjoyed talking... a lot)

This is all with an la3 computer and brown top injectors, and the large air vane,

Its going in an 84 gt turbo convertible with a five speed and stock gears, From what little information I've got here is there anything I should know about this combination? will the roller cam cause problems? Is the merkur head a lesser one than the svo one? I'm pretty excited about the deal I got with this, because several other parts (extra merkur block, sqaure intake, another ihi turbo thats water cooled, some very nice springs that I don't know what rate they are though)

In summation, how should this combo run? are their any problem area's?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 AM
super6wheelman
2nd Gear Member

Should run a little quicker than stock, considering the only major mods was the cam. I believe the merkur/svo head were the same. But other than that i dont see why you would have any problems. Youve got the good ECU and the super quick spooling IHI so itll be a fun daily driver
Old 09-17-2010, 06:23 PM
evintho
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a good deal. I'm running the ranger roller in mine, no issues. It's a common swap. Also, have a Merkur head on mine....... same animal. The LA3 and large VAM are what you need. I would recommend going with a T3 as the IHI runs outta juice at 18 psi.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

got it all in and installed with a ebay special fmic (got it off a friend who went another direction), but of course I have a no spark issue, so on with the trouble shooting, and I'll be dropping the ihi as soon as it grenades, i have two water/oil garrets i can choose from
Old 10-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Wow, seems kind of a shame to tear up not only an 84gt turbo car, but a convertible at that!

Biggest thing I noticed when swapping ECU's is to make sure all your grounds are good. One or 2 bad grounds and the whole system will act funny. When I first swapped my ECU, I had no spark or fuel! lol. Spent weeks chasing wire diagrams. Turns out the only problem was a couple bad grounds.