Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-16-2006, 11:22 PM   #1
infantrycav
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to infantrycav
Default need manual rack help

I'm looking to buying a quick ration manual rack and that will leave me running just my alternator and water pump as the accessories. Are there any kits that will reposition the alternator or what can I do to run this setup? I have seen the march system that relocates the tensioner to the timing cover but have heard about poor fittment of that kit. Can I just use a (**** forgot name of rod), it would attach the alternator to the timing cover and can be moved outward to apply tension... would the belt still make contact with the waterpump, and would that minimal contact on the puller be enough or would that cause too much slippage(note:the w/p is already underdriven)? I hope this post makes sense.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need manual rack help

i am also contemplating doing the same thing as you and my wp is also underdriven. i have seen pics of people running the belt like your thinking with that little bit of contact on the wp pulley, im curious as to how well that would work though, i think i might perform the belt tensioner reversal trick and run it like that, will put alot more belt around the wp. the reversal trick is taking the tensioner apart and reversing the spring so the tension goes the other way, so its pushing up instead of down. if you search you should find a website that details it a little better, i did it once and its easier than you might think.
cobra intake, y303 heads, b303, roller rockers, 75mm tbody, 75mm pro-m, bbk cai, 1 5/8 shorty's, catted x pipe, flows AT catback, 3.55's, smog/ac delete, tremec 3550, centerforce clutch, bbk adjustable cable and quadrant, hidden wires
preciousroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:19 AM   #3
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to ZachW04Stang
Default RE: need manual rack help

I know I saw in a previous post that there was a kit that moved the altinator back and forth to adjust tension on the belt. I remember the kit being sold by jegs so you might want to check jegs.com.

ZachW04Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:19 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
50, belt, mustang, reversal, reversing, tensioner