5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I'm having a horrible day guys, can you please help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Default I'm having a horrible day guys, can you please help?

Well guys, today has been a horrible day.
I was layed off of my co-op job, and have also had issues doin **** on the mustang.
I just got my parts from summit today;
new clutch and flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, t5 bearing retainer, motor and tranny mounts, oil pan gasket, rear seal, syn tranny fluid, firewall adjuster; so I figured this would cheer me up.

(I already have the tranny, clutch and flywheel off)

1. First off, I had a very very hard time getting the rear seal off. How do I get the new one to fit on? It is in fact the same size as the one that was on there, how do I stretch it to fit on? The seal came with a clear piece that slightly stretches the seal, but not enough to fit on.

2. So I gave up on that for the moment, and switched to the tranny. I popped the clutch fork off, and removed the old thowout bearing. The new one then proceeded to fall from a tire i had it sitting on, and bent part of the lip. I made a decent effort to return it to it's normal shape, so i think it's okay. I then struggled to get the bearing retainer out of the tranny, and finally got it. Well, the surrounding ring and washer type thing flew out. (I also found a small pin, and I don't know if it came out of the tranny) Just to find out that for some reason, they don't fit in the new bearing retainer I got from summit. The part number is M-7050-A (ford part). Summit's description states that it will fit my t5 tranny, yet the surrounding bearing ring and washer esque thing won't fit. Does this mean I leave them out? Does the small pin also fit in there somewhere? The new retainer opening is just slightly too small for them to fit.

3. I'm changing the leaky oil pan gasket, and have a 1 piece replacement. What is the best strategy for putting it on? Remove all the bolts and let the tranny move as far down as it will go, and manuever the new one in? Or do I have to remove the oil pan altogether for the one piece? It is a rubber gasket.

4. I also have motor mounts to put in, and i don't have a lift. Where do I jack the engine up so that I can replace them?

5. Most of the tranny stuff I'm working with is covered in gray grease, I'm assuming the idea is to regrease such things as the pilot bearing when I install it. What is the name of the grease I need to buy?

PLEASE guys, I'm having a rough day, and if you could help me out in the slightest bit, I would really appreciate it.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:36 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

Default RE: I'm having a horrible day guys, can you please help?

how about some boobies ? [sm=smiley14.gif]

Old 05-23-2006, 07:41 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

boobies are always good
car help at this point is actually better
Old 05-23-2006, 08:36 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Does the pin that you found seem to be about a 1/4 inch in diameter and about 3/8 inch long? If so it is a roller bearing out of the input shaft where it mates to the mainshaft. My guess is if that is the deal then you have many more down inside your tranny case because there are quite a few of them. The release bearing is more than likely fine. The rear seal should be a round one piece seal and with a little grease on the seal area where it mates to the crank and some gentle finess should let you slide it over the crank and then drive it in place. Make sure you put a little sealer on the crank bolts when you re-install the flywheel because these holes are not "blind holes"and will allow some oil to seep out if not sealed. The best way to install the pan gasket is to lift the engine. Given you have the tranny out I would borrow an engine lift and unbolt the 18 milimeter nuts that retain the engine to the "K" member. This will give you the much needed hieght to replae the gasket. You may need to remove the fan and fan shrowd to do this and may need to drain the coolant and unhook cooling hoses. Good news is once you do this you have all the room needed to replae your engine mounts. I usually put a film of wheel bearing grease on the bearing retainer for the release bearing to slide on and work it in with my hand. Do not use alot but enough to put a nice film of grease on it. I have no answer for the retainer/shim and bearing cup fitment because that is something I would need to see. The whole trick to what you are attempting is being very patient and take your time. It is not an overwhelming job if you keep a clear head. I have done all these tasks many times. Sorry to hear about the lost job. And good luck getting the car back into tip top shape.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:13 AM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for responding Joe-

I managed to get the rear seal in. I snapped some pictures to show you what I mean about the bearing retainers, and the bearings. I called summit, and they couldn't help; I tried Ford Racing but I think they were closed; but I'm going to try them again tomorrow. As I said earlier the diameter on the new housing is too small to fit the bearing shim in. In the picture with the shim, you can see the pin as well; does this look like the pin you were describing, and if so, what does that mean for my tranny? Or did I make the mistake of finding something that was already on the floor?

Where is the release bearing? Is this also known as the throwout bearing? Because I'm positive that's trashed, it's the whole reason I'm doing this in the first place, and I have that part under control.

I will be sure to put some sealer on those bolts, thank you for the heads up.

I don't see where the engine connects to the k member with 18mm bolts. The only spots I see are where the motor mounts connect to the engine, and where the mounts connect to the body. I went ahead and drained the coolant (and disconnected the hoses), and removed the fan and shroud. I have the lift all set to go; it is the type that has bolts on the ends, so where is a suggested spot to connect them to the motor?

Thanks about the job, hopefully I can snag another one soon.

I appreciate the help, very much.

PS- I apologize for the picture quality, a camera phone was the best I could do today, let me know if you can't make them out

[IMG]local://upfiles/15172/E509C9DE877147F8AC64BAAE69AB3DCF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15172/A2E8F9A2371647F1AD14DD56D3E365A8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-24-2006, 04:18 AM
94Cobrakid16
3rd Gear Member

they made me feel better.
ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

Old 05-24-2006, 02:21 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

The pin looks like nothing I have seen in a T-5 and the bearing is a release/throwout bearing, just depends on who you ask. The retainer looks like the wrong part to me.
ORIGINAL: ricepatrol

Thanks for responding Joe-

I managed to get the rear seal in. I snapped some pictures to show you what I mean about the bearing retainers, and the bearings. I called summit, and they couldn't help; I tried Ford Racing but I think they were closed; but I'm going to try them again tomorrow. As I said earlier the diameter on the new housing is too small to fit the bearing shim in. In the picture with the shim, you can see the pin as well; does this look like the pin you were describing, and if so, what does that mean for my tranny? Or did I make the mistake of finding something that was already on the floor?

Where is the release bearing? Is this also known as the throwout bearing? Because I'm positive that's trashed, it's the whole reason I'm doing this in the first place, and I have that part under control.

I will be sure to put some sealer on those bolts, thank you for the heads up.

I don't see where the engine connects to the k member with 18mm bolts. The only spots I see are where the motor mounts connect to the engine, and where the mounts connect to the body. I went ahead and drained the coolant (and disconnected the hoses), and removed the fan and shroud. I have the lift all set to go; it is the type that has bolts on the ends, so where is a suggested spot to connect them to the motor?

Thanks about the job, hopefully I can snag another one soon.

I appreciate the help, very much.

PS- I apologize for the picture quality, a camera phone was the best I could do today, let me know if you can't make them out

[IMG]local://upfiles/15172/E509C9DE877147F8AC64BAAE69AB3DCF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15172/A2E8F9A2371647F1AD14DD56D3E365A8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

I believe the torque on the flywheel bolts is 80 ft lbs too but I will look it up if you like.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Cobrakid16

Word.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Josh95gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

ORIGINAL: 94Cobrakid16

Word.

Gotta love that