5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Intake setup question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default Intake setup question

Well since no one here drives a stick my clutch question was left without help lol. Not being a *** just sarcastic . But on a stock motor i have i was wonder about this set up for a decent intake upgrade. ( will be modding the motor alot more as cash flows in just want to lets say over kill for now so i dont have to upgrade twice got me) Ok i was thinking of the trick flow intake 5.0 Street Manifold: idle to 5,500 range summit part number TFS-51511001. The sumit brand 75mm throtle body summit part num SUM-227205. And the summit brand 75mm egr plate summit part num SUM-227505. I need to know if 75mm is to big for a stock motor witch i dont think it should be. Also i need to know is a decent mass air flow that flows good i see they are rated in LB. I have no clue about umm. Since im doing a conversion. Now rember i do wanna go over kill so i dont have to upgrade twice. But my engine should run fine with a lager intake set up like that correct? ( p.s. im still broke but got aproved for a $1500 visa gotta send it all on that stang. Also if anyone know about my clutch problem its on page 2 of this forum now. I just wanna make sure it is a clutch problem. Thanx again all you have helped me much. And learning new stuff day to day i should be able to help new comers myself. Thanx again sorry for the long post...
Old 03-16-2007, 02:34 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake setup question

Beware of the slippery slope...
Once you start racking up debt for the Mustang, it will be TOO easy to do.

I say keep holding off until you have the SPARE funds. It will take longer, but credit cards are the devil.
My current 408w build has taken a good 6mo. now, but no way I am going to rack up a penny of debt for a hobby project...
My opinion anyway, take it for what it's worth...

The intake parts you mentioned sound fine, and I agree with planning for the future/final build. No point in buying stuff twice.
For now on the MAF stick with a 70mm meter from a 94-95 Mustang, and keep the 19lb injectors. You will be much happier with this meter, and it is a definate upgrade to the Fox 55mm unit.

Below is a break-down of what you are looking for and where to find it...

For your combo, a better option would be the MAF/MAS from a 94-95 Mustang.
This is a 70mm tube, which is a direct swap for an A9* computer, as long as the 19's are still in use.

Here is a list of some of the Factory uses for this meter...
94-95 Mustang 5.0
94-95 Mustang 3.8
94-95 Mustang Cobra 5.0
92-94 Crown Vic 4.6
but there may be others.
the important features are...
70mm tube diameter
part number 'F2VF' on the MAS (the little black sensor box)

This meter would be a mild performance upgrade, worth a couple (5-7)HP.
The only 'converting' required is an inlet tube adapter. I can't find a good link right now, but they are available.
If nothing else, some guys have simply cut the flange off the 70mm housing and slipped their inlet hose over the MAF (similar to the original setup).

If you can't find one of these meters...
The factory meter for the MAF Mustang 5.0 was a 55mm tube with a 'F1ZF' MAS.
This sensor was also available on...
88-93 Mustang 5.0
89-95 Taurus SHO 3.0
88-93 T-Bird 3.8
92-93 T-Bird 5.0
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 PM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Intake setup question

Thanx alot for the info. I mean it that realy does help. I agree with the debt point but you know sometimes its hard to hold back lol. So for the convert i nees a maf from one of thoses vehicles along with their computer. Then from what i read i just have to run a couple wires through the firewall and connect them to my factory harness. Then pug in new comp, and boom running again lmao. Thanx again