5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

88 GT T-Top running (rich)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Default 88 GT T-Top running (rich)?

Hey guys I picked up an 88 GT 5spd T-Top project car about 2 weeks ago. It had a hole in the timing chain cover that has since been fixed. On the first start up it smoked black constantly, assuming it's running rich. It fouled the plugs out and wouldn't start, so I said hell lets replace plugs and wires. It then ran better but still smoked black. It runs good to me has good power (used to driving a 3.0 5spd ranger). Could someone tell me what all I should check and in what order? I've searched on here but I don't know what to start with!

Thanks in advance. When I get this figgured out I'll let you all know. Yes yes, I'll post pics up sometime Also If someone could show me a write up on how to remove the headliner in a t-top that would be great as it needs glued or replaced which ever I choose. Thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 AM
85stang project
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 88 GT T-Top running (rich)?

I would start by running s top engine cleaner threw...t o clean any burnt oil deposits up..the good kind that u run threw the intake mani threw a suction vaccum port slowly.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 85stang project

I would start by running s top engine cleaner threw...t o clean any burnt oil deposits up..the good kind that u run threw the intake mani threw a suction vaccum port slowly.
I thought about running Sea Foam through there cause I've got a can of it.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 AM
95stang50
1st Gear Member

dude like i told everyone else i had to go through this the hard way.....check for vaccum leaks....my car was doin the same thing running WAY to rich and i had to put the peddal all the way down to the floor to keep it running.....i spent about 2 weeks tryin to figure it out....all it was.....EGR had a hole in the diaphram and the gasket was burned up causing.....a huge a** vaccum leak which was causing the O2's to read that the car was running lean which caused the computer to conpensate for that and made it run rich..... i went through wires coil plugs cap and rotor everything....and thats all it was....but give her a try and see what you come out with the easiest way to check for vac leaks i found is with a can for chem tool B12....see if you can get the car running and spray around your inkake plenums and all your vac lines....if the car revs up....you got a leak
Old 11-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95stang50

dude like i told everyone else i had to go through this the hard way.....check for vaccum leaks....my car was doin the same thing running WAY to rich and i had to put the peddal all the way down to the floor to keep it running.....i spent about 2 weeks tryin to figure it out....all it was.....EGR had a hole in the diaphram and the gasket was burned up causing.....a huge a** vaccum leak which was causing the O2's to read that the car was running lean which caused the computer to conpensate for that and made it run rich..... i went through wires coil plugs cap and rotor everything....and thats all it was....but give her a try and see what you come out with the easiest way to check for vac leaks i found is with a can for chem tool B12....see if you can get the car running and spray around your inkake plenums and all your vac lines....if the car revs up....you got a leak
Thanks I'll try that tomorrow hopefully.