5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Air-Water Intercooler options

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

Default Air-Water Intercooler options

Hey guys, wanted to get your options regarding Air-Water cooler? I have a Vortech aftercooler. I think the front mount is a pile....since its the size of my hand not sure how it "cools" LOL....my goal is to make around 550-600 on pump gas (91 in CA)....dont want to run meth. inj. wanted to see what you guys were running for coolers? Vecco or? Etc? Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

why dont you want to run meth? its cheap and cools very well
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

agreed with hackgt. nothin wrong with meth injection if done properly
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

The Vortech air to water cooler actually did pretty well in a recent MM&F mag. I believed the person gained 40 horsepower, or something along those lines(I'll have to find
the copy to make sure tho). Another option would be to reclock your SC and make a custom intercooler, which would probably be cheaper than the Vortech cooler if the parts are chosen properly.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 AM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

Yup meth is cheaper waaaaay easier to install which Im all for....haha.....I have this aftercooler kit only reason I'm opting to run it....just skeptical of the front mount being so small...not sure how it can "cool" Dont get me wrong if I didnt have this kit I would go meth no ques. Still exploring meth option, just because of the install pain...modifying valve covers, removing front bumper, mounting pump etc.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Sippix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanguy306
Yup meth is cheaper waaaaay easier to install which Im all for....haha.....I have this aftercooler kit only reason I'm opting to run it....just skeptical of the front mount being so small...not sure how it can "cool" Dont get me wrong if I didnt have this kit I would go meth no ques. Still exploring meth option, just because of the install pain...modifying valve covers, removing front bumper, mounting pump etc.
Oh, man...You're worried about the pain of running meth injection? You're looking at twice the hassle of running Water/Air afterchargers over a meth injection kit. I don't know what your "kit" came with, but you'll need a pump, hoses, control module, cooling resevoire and a small inline cooler similar to an oil cooler (like a mini-aftercharger). Plus, the degree of air cooling will only be as much as the water can be cooled.

In a daily driver application, you're looking at the common problem of running the car to the store, letting it sit for fifteen minutes so the water can heat soak, then starting the car up and running the warm water through the aftercharger - which completely eliminates the desired effect. Heat soak can also occur from simply driving around the city for extended periods of time.

In a pure off-road/race setup, you'll actually be able to "charge" the water with ice in the resevoire before any runs. This gives you maximum air charging, but you can see that the ice would melt quickly in a DD application and still leave you with undesired heat soaked water warming up your intake.

In essence, get rid of your kit and opt for a meth injection system. Sure, you have to do refills with meth/water injection, but it's a very minor maintenance procedure that happens maybe once every three or four gas tank refills (depending on the spray duty and resevoire capacity).
Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

lol no Im saying the meth kit is easy....sorry I meant the pain of installing the aftercooler kit. Yeah I may just opt to go meth.....I was hoping for some better cooling system. I dont see how the vortech kit will work efficiently unless I mount the tank in the trunk or run a larger tank like a Jaz 5 gal. fuel cell or? I think the kit needs a larger exchanger upfront? Im trying to find something like a 03 cobra one but? Again sooo much work...lol...meth install in 30 min
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Sippix
1st Gear Member

Personally, I've always fancied rerouting the a/c unit (not just the ducts) as the inline heat exchanger (in place of an oil cooler) for a water/air aftercharger. You'd have no problems keeping your water nice and chilly, but you'd have to sweat it out through the summer months and you'd still have the compressor robbing you of those few precious HP's. It'd be a sweet set-up if you had the cash and HVAC/mechanical skills, and I've never heard of anyone doing it so you'd get mad props for making something like that happen.

I'm not saying that a water/air aftercharger is a bad idea, but I think you'd get more from a small conventional air/air aftercharger with a meth spray while using your car as a DD. Plus, with all that extra time and cash left over, you could invest into your next project.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

that would be cool rerouting AC stuff....so should just run meth and forget the aftercooler alltogether? I wont be missing that install....lol. Thanks Guys.