5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

t5 shifting problem-please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

pull the tranny out and remove the clutch...right now the motor is out in my vert and on top of the clutch adjustment issue it had a really stiff pedal even after I swapped back to a stock quadrant, and funny part was I had to adjust the cable so it put pressure on the plate fingers and then adjust it 3/4 of an inch further, if I went to far clutch would slip. so I knew either the flywheel was under min spec for resurfacing or the pressure plate was snafu!!......when it goes back together it'll have a KC clutch I have sitting around that I know is good, you should have an 1/8 free play before fork/tob is up against the pressure plate fingers, if you have to adjust clutch so TOB puts tension on the fingers, there is a problem somewhere, often in the tranny or clutch assembly or bent clutch fork, as well as possible other things
Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
you should have an 1/8 free play before fork/tob is up against the pressure plate fingers,
Maybe this is the way your 60's Mustang needs to be set up but I can tell you 2 reasons why I think this is wrong.

The factory quadrant in our fox Mustangs always ratchet for constant tension.
Why do you adjust for play?

I also stressed about this on my hydraulic clutched Dodge Ram. I noticed the bearing constantly riding on the fingers of the pressure plate. Those have a slave cylinder outside the bellhousing that push on a clutch fork arm, just like a Mustang. I custom made a rod that was shorter than the original rod between the slave and the clutch fork.
The bearing didn't touch until the after the first time I pushed the pedal. It also adjusted itself, just like the Mustang to constantly touch the fingers.

Another reason. I guess this is 3. If I adjust my 93 to stay off the fingers. I need to press my clutch pedal into the carpet to disengage the clutch. A bit of tension and I can shift gears, even engage reverse with the pedal 1/2 way down.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 AM
johnnyredd

I put the car up on jack stands and had a friend get in and push the clutch in while i looked in thru where the cover goes on the tranny.I could see the tob pushing in and out on the fingers.It looked to be working fine,but I dont know alot about a tranny.I replaced the fork when i put the clutch in it.I put a king cobra clutch in it,I replaced the fork,the pivot bolt it rides on,bearing retainer,flywheel,all the bolts for the pressure plate and the flywheel.I also put a billet quadrantand firewall adjuster from dynamic racing.The kit came with a steeda adjustable cable.So everything in it has been replaced.The clutch was stiff as h*** after I put all this in,but it shifted great for a couple of days then it when to shifting like crap.At this point I really dont know what to do.I was thinking about pulling it tranny back out and look to see if I might see something.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:29 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Jfsram
Maybe this is the way your 60's Mustang needs to be set up but I can tell you 2 reasons why I think this is wrong.

The factory quadrant in our fox Mustangs always ratchet for constant tension.
Why do you adjust for play?
he does not have a full factory set up and no a 60's mustang is not set up as such it has a Z-BAR with an adjustable rod.........if he has or for that mater if anyone has an adjustable cable, on a mustang meaning threads down on the cable end by the clutch fork then YES 1/8 inch free play max is what you should have, exactly taken from the warning instructions on my centerforce clutch install instructions..........you adjust for play because you don't want the TOB slammed up against the pressure plate constantly turning the TOB causing premature wear oh and fyi he HAS a steeda adjustable cable so my instructions on adjusting the cable end down on the tranny are correct, if he had a complete stock set up then what you state would apply, a properly adjusted firewall adjuster takes up all pedal slack and the 1/8 of play down on the fork is for pedal freeplay which inside the car will translate into 1.5 to 2 inches of freeplay which is right where you want it

Last edited by mjr46; 07-23-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:54 PM
TurtleSLow
3rd Gear Member

i could be wrong about the older t5's but my t5 takes a certain kind of atf, maybe your problem is cheap fluid
Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

I also adjust my 60 stuff, yes with a zbar and a threaded rod. Just like most any car made back then, for play. Not alot but enough to keep the bearing from spinning.
Not contact but the less the better. It allows you to shift faster.

All the late model stuff, constant contact.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

feel free to continue to do that on the latemodel stuff, but that is not what the manufactorers recommend when using an adjustable cable and firewall adjuster
Old 07-26-2009, 04:29 PM
19905.0stang
1st Gear Member

mine had the same problem put a new a cable didnt my dad drove it to work one day and it locked it self in 5th now i need a new t5 trans but did you replace the clutch fork that might help