Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1988, Ford, Mustang GT
Default Piston ring end gap Q's

I just rebuilt my engine (first engine I have ever done) and I ground my rings to .022 and .020. Can't quite remember which one was the upper ring. I used the instructions that came with the rings and chose that number based on what it said to use for a N/A setup.

My question is: Does this mean I can NEVER spray or boost the engine? People seem to do this to stock engines all the time without issues. I think the factory sets ring gap to .018.

I will probably end up getting AFR heads when I have the cash, but would like to know if I can ever spray or boost the engine.

Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

1988 Ford Ranger 2.3L Turbo

DJ19895.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Vehicle: 85 mustang

you can spray it, just don't go overboard on the amount used, the more spray the hotter the cumbustion can be, thus super heating the chambers, as more heat is generated = things expand , if things expand to much rings can butt together and crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 Mustang Coupe

That's why I always gap mine larger than recommended. The sealing loss is minimal, in many cases not enough to even measure on a dyno in a typical street engine. Helps to account for transient leans, spray, boost etc. Gap depends on piston design, some pistons transfer more heat to the rings that others. If you gapped them tight(min recommended) then be conservative with spray and it wouldn't hurt to run it a bit on the richer side to keep the chamber cool.

Untested 331, lots of suspension, chewing up corners.
67mustang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
302, 50, 50l, clearance, clerance, end, ford, gap, measurement, mustang, oem, piston, piton, ppiston, ring, v8