5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

IS IT MY COIL ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
zeus

Default IS IT MY COIL ??

Hi all, I have owned my 1988 gt convertible for 7 years with no problems. Car has always started and drove with no problems. However, just recently the car has takin a dump. It started when I detailed the motor. Shortly after this, I was on my way home and the car started bucking like it was running out of gas. It had a 1/4 of tank so I stopped and filled it up. When I got home I took a look and started replacing parts with no luck. Here is the list:
CAP, ROTOR, WIRES, PLUGS, PICK UP COIL, FUEL REGULATOR, VACUUM HOSES, PLENUM TO MANIFOLD GASKET, TPS, FUEL FILTER, PCV. I did check codes and advance the timing. Here are codes: 67, 13, 15. This is an automatic trans. By advancing the timing it made the car run better (28 Degrees), but it still bucks at mid throttle. At this point I am so frustrated that I stomp the gas and hope for a fire.... sorry just at my witts end.
Now one thing that I did not change is the coil. I just thought the coil either runs or not. Please help.
Thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 01:17 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

sound like you didnt bother to remove your spout connector when you set your timing. The bucking was likely due to getting water into your distributor cap. You could have also fouled up your ignition module.

Perhaps next time you both up your car, you'll just stop in here and ask before wasting money on parts you dont need.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:01 PM
zeus

Yes, removed connector before timing. And yes, I also replaced the ignition module. So, now I am stopping in here to ask if anyone knows what else it could be that is causing all the chaos in my car. Is it possible that the coil is acting up? Is there a way I can test it ? Or should I just pay the $20.00 for a new one? Thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you say your timing is set at 28°... You do know that stock base timing is 10°btdc right?

You probably put your distributor in wrong.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 AM
zeus

Yes, I do know that the timing should be 10 degrees. The only way the car would run better is with the timing advanced to 28-30. I only pulled the distrubutor after nothing else worked. I pulled it and rebuilt it with no change in how the car runs. Maybe I was not clear.... I detailed the car including motor, like 2 weeks later I am on my way home from work and the car starts bucking like its out of gas even though it showed 1/4 tank I filled it up.... same condition. First thing I thought was fuel, so I replaced filter and did fuel pressure check. The pressure was a steady 25 lbs, but not sure if that was acurate.. I was having trouble with the valve because of the a/c hose. The car runs ok at full throttle not so good at mid throttle. Also, it idles smooth. So like I said in past thread, after fuel filer, in order I changed plugs, wires, rotor, cap. No change... barely made it back home on test run. Then I bumped up timing, car ran better but still had stumble in mid range. Then changed modual on distributor.... still same. Next pulled distributor and replaced pick up coil. Still ran the same. I checked the TPS and adjusted. It acctually started quicker but ran bad, so I changed the TPS. I then replaced vacuum hoses to plenum because they were original (93000 miles on car) also pulled plenum and changed gasket and fuel regulator.Still the same. Last night I replaced coil....still same. I am running out of parts to replace, so if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you need to take he distributor back out, and put it in correctly this time.

25PSI is WAY woo low for fuel pressure. With the vac line disconnected from the FPR, you should see ~39psi

Start with the basics, and stop typing so much.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:12 PM
stangmanmike33

buy a fpr. the fuel pressure needs to be around 36-41 psi. depending on build of your car. so regardless, of spending a few more bucks, buy an adjustable fpr, there generally cheaper than a factory non-adjustable, and you can dial in your pressure to where you need it. but yeah 25 is way too low. good luck with everything.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 PM
zeus

Thanks stangman, I checked fuel pressure again and it was around 23 25psi. I have since dropped tank and I will be replacing fuel pump assembly tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:07 PM
stangmanmike33

no problem man, btw when your in the tank, if you plan on making any more engine mods to your car, id step up the pump to like a 155 or 190. i mean if your gonna pay for a stock one, might as well pay a few more dollars for a bigger one while your there
Old 04-29-2011, 08:18 PM
zeus

WOO HOO! Yes the mustang is fixed and has never run so good. Right now I dont regret changing the other parts, the car was probably due for them. In 7 years , the car has never run so well. Looking forward to taking the car out tomorrow...... Oh, it was the fuel pump. In the past a bad pump just went bad, not like this, this just ran bad.