5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Does the Smog Pump Suck or Blow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Default Does the Smog Pump Suck or Blow?

Im currently have the top half of the engine apart and i am now looking to bypass the smog pump without removing it.

I am wondering if the top hose on the drivers side constantly blows air or sucks air.

What i would like to do is run a hose from the smog pump, to the metal hose that runs down to my exhaust.

The reason i would like to do this is because i want to plug off the smog spot in the back of the heads, and remove all of the valves in the way.

I need to keep the pump on for emissions tests, and this seems like a superb short cut.

I will also be removing the EGR vlave, i already have the resisotrs i need to make a block out circuit there.

I do not want to do this if i have the smog pump hose directly attached to the exhaust, and it is sucking exhaust up into the pump.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 01:17 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

the pump blows. what you want to do will work ONLY if you pipe it AFTER the cats. otherwise its going to be over-whelmed by the pressure in the exhaust.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Im running i off road h pipe. Its bbk and has the connection for the smog pump even though it has no cats.

Id just rather leave the majority of it in there to make life easier next year.

I think the pipe meets the exhaust right before the 'H' connection too so its a decent distance from the heads.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:14 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

well in that case... do it up.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 PM
88GTBLACK
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bobert
Im currently have the top half of the engine apart and i am now looking to bypass the smog pump without removing it.

I am wondering if the top hose on the drivers side constantly blows air or sucks air.

What i would like to do is run a hose from the smog pump, to the metal hose that runs down to my exhaust.

The reason i would like to do this is because i want to plug off the smog spot in the back of the heads, and remove all of the valves in the way.

I need to keep the pump on for emissions tests, and this seems like a superb short cut.
I will also be removing the EGR vlave, i already have the resisotrs i need to make a block out circuit there.

I do not want to do this if i have the smog pump hose directly attached to the exhaust, and it is sucking exhaust up into the pump.

Thanks
I passed emmissions with no smog pump in NJ. and we're strict out here. Full bolt ons, and just found a stock H pipe on craigslist.See foamed and bolted i up, sent my girlfriend thru, and it passed. it was close, but passed. I have no smog at all on the car. There was about 4 people looking it over and over at the station. Sold the hpipe shortly after. and went back to OR/X
Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

You could open up the pump and remove the center pump section. It been years since i did that on my 86 so I don't recall how easy it was but I believe it was rather simple. I would suggest picking up a junk pump for this mod so you can keep the original intact.