Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sponsored by Weld Racing

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
rowen210

Vehicle: 98 BMW M3
Default 5.0 rebuild/refresh questions

I am building a 5.0 to put into a Miata and want a little more that stock power. I want the car to daily driver capable, easy to tame, and maybe 250 whp. I normally deal with BMWs and have never owned a push rod engine. Any guidance to get me near my power goals would be appreciated.

What I have:
1993 5.0 HO with 150k miles
1993 Cobra upper and lower intake
1993 Cobra 65mm throttle body
A9L computer
GT40p explorer heads with 120k miles
MSD distributor

What I want:
E303 cam
24lb/hr injectors and MAF
High volume oil and water pump
Fel-pro gaskets

Questions:
I need new springs but what kind and how much lift?
Do I need new pushrods and lifters?
Are stock explorer rockers any good?
You guys are the 5.0 pros so, while i have the motor out what should i do preventative maintenance wise?
Are there weak points in the block I should thoroughly inspect?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by rowen210; 02-19-2014 at 03:57 PM.
rowen210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
aode08
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 91 Mustang GT
Talking

Not to infringe on your intelligence, you have all you need for that little miata.

The GT-40 has been known to exceed 300Ft lbs of torque as it is.Your at 235HP on the motor stock(GT-40),so to get your extra 15+Hp, my guess would be to just add a cold air intake, under drive pulleys, and advance the timing and hold on. You don't need the 24lbs injectors

Don't always look at horsepower.

347 , 11:1 Compression,Knife Edged Lightened Crank,AFR 185,Ported Trick-flow Intake,Ford X-CAM,Under-drive pulleys,aluminum drive-shaft, 3:73 gears,Fender Cold Air Intake,Long tube headers,MSD Digital Ignition System
Lightened chassis.

451HP 439 FtLbTrq. mid 10 second car !
aode08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
rowen210

Vehicle: 98 BMW M3

I realize that this will be a lot of tq for such a little car and I will be traction limited but people put beefed up LSX motors in Miata so I don't think 250hp and 300tq is too much to ask. My over all goal is to freak out my friend who has a 2013 GT500. I don't think I can beat him but it would be nice to give him a run for his money.
I forgot that I already have a under drive crank pulley. After I get the cam and springs do I need to upgrade anything else (lifters, rods, rockers)? I don't want to cheap out or cut corners. The last thing I want is to have a catastrophic failure while I'm pulling away from my friends GT500

I do have a new issue... my friend thinks my motor that I bought out of a running 1993 auto vert might be a 1986 motor. It has a the wrong intake plate to be a 11993.a little research told me that in 1986 the HO had flat top pistons so I will know when I pull the heads. But is there a less intrusive way to check the year? Someone told me the code on the motor will say "E" for 80s and "F" for 90s and a single digit after the number designating the year. I cannot find a code on this grease ball motor. Is this code thing true and if so where do I look?

Last edited by rowen210; 02-20-2014 at 11:44 PM.
rowen210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1995 mustang GT
ItsUrFuneral

Don't bother with a cam without also upgrading your heads beyond GT40s. Throw some shortie headers on it and you'll be making around 275 at the wheels with a cheap H/C/I kit from trick flow.
ENGINE363 fully forged dart engine on the way with more spray!TRANNY C4 with trans brake, 3800 stall, 9in. raceconverter, hurst shifter REAR Moser 35 spline kit with spool, FRPP 3.73 gearsSUSPENION UPR pro street Uppers & lower control arms, Strange 10 way dampers, coilovers up front, BBK sub frame connectors, UPR Tube K-member & A-arms10.57@123.9 (OLD 5.0)
2011 CamaroSS 12.34@110.92
bluebeastsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement