5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will not fire up

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Wombatnation

Okay I'll try that now does the colors and where they lead sound about right? Because the guy before just cut away so there's a lot cut. Can I run the coil(red/green) directly to the brown/pink? Or do I have to have that white/blue in play. Can I by pass those grey connectors as well. I appreciate the help

Originally Posted by 67LimeCoupe
Why not just run a new length of cable from the fuse box? Just double check the coil requirements.

Check the requirements for the new coil, it may not need that length of resistor wire coming from the ignition, on my 67 I had to run a new wire from the ignition to the coil because the new one needed a full 12v rather than the 8 or so you get with the resistor wire.

Use a multimeter on the coil when you are cranking to see if you are getting power, alternatively stick a spark plug in the dizzy side of the coil to dizzy spark plug cable and put it against the chassis and check for spark directly from the coil.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:11 PM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default Will not fire up

Originally Posted by Wombatnation
Okay I'll try that now does the colors and where they lead sound about right? Because the guy before just cut away so there's a lot cut. Can I run the coil(red/green) directly to the brown/pink? Or do I have to have that white/blue in play. Can I by pass those grey connectors as well. I appreciate the help
Im not familiar enough with fox wiring to say. It all depends on your coil, the HEI distributor I bought for my fox requires a full 12v to it so I will be running a wire directly from the fusebox to the distributor. Some coils will need to have the voltage/current stepped down so that it doesnt fry it, the company you bought the coil from should know. I can check mine tomorrow evening if you havent figured it out by then.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:16 PM
Wombatnation

Okay thanks I'm just trying to figure out if I need that white/blue it not. Because if I can go coil to fusebox to ignition I'll do that. I'll try to contact the manufacturer to see if it's 12v

Originally Posted by 67LimeCoupe
Im not familiar enough with fox wiring to say. It all depends on your coil, the HEI distributor I bought for my fox requires a full 12v to it so I will be running a wire directly from the fusebox to the distributor. Some coils will need to have the voltage/current stepped down so that it doesnt fry it, the company you bought the coil from should know. I can check mine tomorrow evening if you havent figured it out by then.