5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mis-fire & backfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 03:01 AM
SuddenImpact

Default Mis-fire & backfire

Hey guys, first off, I'm not too good with cars, but I'm learning as I go. I think I definitely got took on my purchase, but I'm doing what I can to get her in shape again. I have the 95 GT, So far I have replaced the following:
Radiator, thermostat (and housing), starter, alternator, clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate, flywheel, cold air intake, mass air flow sensor, rack n pinion, distributor (had timing set), cap, rotor, plugs & wires, exhaust from the headers back, I've found and fixed a few vacuum leaks as well.

The problem, is it will randomly start to mis-fire, and backfire out of the headers while driving, it sounds like the passenger side. Sometimes it will clear up on its own after a minute, or usually turning the car off and back on will make it run fine again.

I've had it to a couple different shops, neither could figure out what is wrong. I had one tell me that my motor was blown because they couldn't get it running at all. I picked it up, set the timing again because they loosened the distributor for some reason and left it that way... and it ran fine again with an exception of the random mis-fire.

Anyways, I'm at a loss.. I really don't think its the motor, it runs strong most of the time, and if it was the motor it really don't seem to me like turning it off and back on would solve the problem at all. I'm running out of money though and cant afford to just keep throwing parts at it, so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2016, 03:28 AM
SuddenImpact

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I have had a few different places try to read the codes, a couple didn't have the correct scanner. The one that did have the right scanner told me it would not connect to the car.. could this all be computer related?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

Did the one that "did have the right scanner" try to plug in under the dash? If so, wrong port. The EEC-IV port is under the hood, behind the R strut tower. Most parts stores don't carry the equipment to offer free testing of non-OBDII systems anymore. But it's easy enough to do with a jumper wire:

DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test Procedure

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 05-08-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:34 PM
SuddenImpact

Thanks for the reply, yes, he did hook it up under the hood. I took the computer out today and brought it to a company that can "flash" them. They said they were unable to, but for some reason couldn't give me a reason as to why. I'm almost wondering if maybe I should try to find a cheap used one at a scrap yard to throw in and see what happens...
Old 05-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I'm afraid I don't know much about the computers and flashing, but I'd hate to see you throw parts at it... Did you try pulling codes manually, like with a jumper wire?

FWIW, I have an OBDI/OBDII scanner that I've never been able to successfully connect to my EEC-IV, though it seems to work fine on other vehicles. But the manual method has never failed me.

I'm reluctant to speculate on the other possible causes for backfiring until I hear what the computer has to say code-wise.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

Pull codes manually, only takes a couple minutes, a paper clip, and a pad of paper and pencil.

Then let us know what codes are there.

I have an OBD1 code reader also, and mine won't read the Mustang.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:16 AM
SuddenImpact

I'm not sure how to pull the codes manually. I'll youtube it tonight and get back with you guys. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
The link shows multiple methods, but just to simplify things:
Locate the plug and install the jumper wire/paperclip. Then sit in the car with a pen & paper and turn the key to RUN. As you take notes, pay attention to the length of the pauses between flashes of the MIL. Try to keep your eye on the lamp, not your paper, so as not to miss a flash. Let the procedure repeat itself just to make sure you've collected all codes.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 05-09-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:52 AM
SuddenImpact

Sorry I haven't updated you guys yet. I got home from work the other day and the starter decided to go out again (2nd in as many years). This week and weekend is caotic at work for me, so I'm hoping to replace it early next week.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:26 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

No rush, most here are brilliant mechanics and techs that never have anything go wrong with they're stuff because of craftsmanship and doing things right the first time. That's why we sit here looking to help others out of boredom.

LOL !!!

Good luck with the starter.