5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1st gear grind, poor downshift, repair costs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Madman_DSM
I thought 6k RPM is not a high RPM application. 8K-11K seems to be. Which implies balancing, replaced rockers, springs, valves and bunch of other stuff. I will try to google for rotational assembly imbalance thresholds.

I know, only did that to a backup car. And I mentioned that only because the results were not as bad as most urban legends tell us, and, therefore I would like to know if someone has seen actual problems with high RPM abuse on stock'ish engine in the neighborhood, Mustang clubs, local drag-strips, tracks.
where are your results that your motor isnt having damage done to it with that kind of abuse? did you break down the motor after that abuse? pictures?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

if you think that it feels like a "dog" at 40mph in 2nd gear youre either:
A. an idiot

or

B. your car is a POS

mine would throw me back hard in 2nd gear, and it only EVER got into the high 13's...

even when it ran mid/low 14's it was an adrenaline rush to hit it in 2nd...

food for thought...
Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ProTrickVic
where are your results that your motor isnt having damage done to it with that kind of abuse? did you break down the motor after that abuse? pictures?
Engine still running strong after 100000 miles driving that way is a very good result I think, especially since it had over 150000 miles when I brought the car, with no engine rebuilds. I'm talking about 2L 8V NA Mitsubishi and 1.8L 16V NA Mazda engines.

No experience with V8's, so that's why I would like to hear input from people who knows pretty much everything about these engines.

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
even when it ran mid/low 14's it was an adrenaline rush to hit it in 2nd...

food for thought...
1) The car is stockish
2) It only bites hard if you launch it from standing start, if you downshifted from third to second, dropped to 30 mph and mashed the gas, it's quite average (stock gears).

Most family saloons have similar specs nowadays.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Engine still running strong after 100000 miles driving that way is a very good result I think, especially since it had over 150000 miles when I brought the car, with no engine rebuilds. I'm talking about 2L 8V NA Mitsubishi and 1.8L 16V NA Mazda engines.

No experience with V8's, so that's why I would like to hear input from people who knows pretty much everything about these engines.

1) The car is stockish
2) It only bites hard if you launch it from standing start, if you downshifted from third to second, dropped to 30 mph and mashed the gas, it's quite average (stock gears).

Most family saloons have similar specs nowadays.

then your car obviously has some tuning issues, because if you mash the throttle in any gear after downshifting in my car you feel it, and its above average. and my car is stockish too...

keep in mind that the 5.0 makes its best power in lower rpms, revving it to the sky like one of those weedwacker mazdas wont get you very far. the 5.0 falls on its face upwards of 5,000 rpm

and i only name call when its appropriate, downshifting into 1st gear at speed =idiotic, i dont care who or where your from. but hey, i wont stop you, just be sure to post plenty of pics of your shattered transmission, cracked block and other carnage next week after you turn your driveline into scrap metal...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
then your car obviously has some tuning issues, because if you mash the throttle in any gear after downshifting in my car you feel it, and its above average. and my car is stockish too...

keep in mind that the 5.0 makes its best power in lower rpms, revving it to the sky like one of those weedwacker mazdas wont get you very far. the 5.0 falls on its face upwards of 5,000 rpm

and i only name call when its appropriate, downshifting into 1st gear at speed =idiotic, i dont care who or where your from. but hey, i wont stop you, just be sure to post plenty of pics of your shattered transmission, cracked block and other carnage next week after you turn your driveline into scrap metal...
+1

when i took my car on the track (Watkins Glenn and Lime Rock) i NEVER had to drop to 1st gear, and, BELIEVE ME, my car was anything but fast...

even from as low as 30 (lowest speed of any of the corners) 2nd gear did the trick just fine...

as for the OP, let him rev it to 8K all day long and see what happens... if he's too dumb to understand the (very) simple difference in the amount of reciprocating mass between a little weedwacker 4 cyl and a SBF, he'll understand soon enough...

Hell, Mazda Renesis 13B and Honda B/K/H/F series 4 cyls can rev to 10K, so the V8 will handle it...

that red mark on the tach is only a suggestion, and the vibrations felt at high rpms are simply your car shuddering from the amount of powaaaaaaaa...
Old 01-12-2011, 03:50 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Wow. Haven't been on in like a week and a half and I never expected this post to be around.... figured it would have been locked... or deleted.. some people are just too thick headed to take the advice they ask for. I really hate when ricer drives switch to v8 rwd cars for the first time too.. they just don't comprehend some of the simplest things about The fact that you don't always have to be above 4000 rpm to make power like you do in the little 4cyl Japan cars they are used to. Either way, my rants done. And OP, message me on here when you blow you're car up. I'm always on the look out for $200 parts cars.... as long as you take the altezza tail lights and the carbon fiber lookalike light up shifter **** off it first.

Last edited by frdmstng1986GT; 01-12-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdmstng1986GT
Wow. Haven't been on in like a week and a half and I never expected this post to be around.... figured it would have been locked... or deleted.. some people are just too thick headed to take the advice they ask for. I really hate when ricer drives switch to v8 rwd cars for the first time too.. they just don't comprehend some of the simplest things about The fact that you don't always have to be above 4000 rpm to make power like you do in the little 4cyl Japan cars they are used to. Either way, my rants done. And OP, message me on here when you blow you're car up. I'm always on the look out for $200 parts cars.... as long as you take the altezza tail lights and the carbon fiber lookalike light up shifter **** off it first.
What the heck is wrong with you?! All of my cars have ZERO!!!! appearance mods, and I NEVER told I rev the V8 to 8k RPM or that I intend to!

For V8 I find that the optimum range is from 2K RPM to 4.5K RPM, most of the time. But if you want to tell me that stomping the gas in 2nd at 15/20 mph will give you the same acceleration as stomping the gas in the 1st you must be crazy, because there is a world of difference. Most cars will smoke you if you're in second rolling at 15/20 mph, and no, you won't catch the ricers with Mustang, because after the shift to 2nd gear, ricers, as you call them, will be multiple car lengths away. And when V8 revs are below 2k RPMs, the car is half asleep, I don't know what you're drinking if you don't feel that.

And no, the car is not f/d up, because on 1/8mi strip I can pass Camaros clocking at 9.4sec. Which is not that bad for a stock car, especially on street tires and road type track, not the glued ones you have in the US.

And the ricer argument pisses me off the most, you tell me how Mustang can't handle revs, you tell me how tranny will explode over 4K RPMs, repeating engine balancer marketing catch-phrases with no hard evidence, you drop to personal attacks and don't even read what I say. And then you call other drivers racers, while in reality most ricer cars will smoke you even with shiftknob light mods, your words. I've yet to see a community 3S/Silvias/Camaros/DSM/STi/Evo where so many people behave like such sissies.

People I meet buy their cars to drive, to have fun at the track and at the strip, to drift on them, yet some people here behave almost as if they buy V8 to compensate for something and then baby them in the 700-1.5K rpm range.

There are smart people on these forums who have given me useful advice. And I respect them, and I've learned many things from them, and I'm very grateful. But If you don't have a useful advice, don't post in this topic.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

this is an easy 2-2.5k rpms....look at that launch...and that's all gearing. i bet he's running 4.56 or 4.88's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPkSlhYWOe4

change your gears and you'll feel different about 2nd gear at 15-20mph. the legs are too long and that's why its a dog down low.

oh and this guy. 306 short block. 10k rpms....5.0 cant handle revs? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yphJRvozhzI

Last edited by ProTrickVic; 01-12-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Damn, that's one scary car for a street use.

No way it would pass inspection in our country. But sweet video.

I am not sure about this, but if I understand correctly, then stock V8 is only good for some moderate power level, broken blocks are common after you reach over 300/400HP?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Damn, that's one scary car for a street use.

No way it would pass inspection in our country. But sweet video.

I am not sure about this, but if I understand correctly, then stock V8 is only good for some moderate power level, broken blocks are common after you reach over 300/400HP?
wrong again...