Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang > 5.0L General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 93, ford, mustang lx
Default AC compressor

Hi guys, been a while since I have been on here. Question I got is anyone having any luck out of a certain brand ac compressor? My car has been without air for too many summers and I am ready to have ac back. Back when I did mechanic work, it seemed like the Advanced auto parts ones didn't really last longer than a couple of years before the seal started leaking. The ones we used were new too. I found a motorcraft online but, it is over 400 bucks with the clutches. I'm not sure if I want to shell that out seeing how I am going to buy a new condenser as well. Any suggestions?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
TrimDrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Vehicle: 85 mustang

try napa ones, they have worked well for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudegirl View Post
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

Thanks Mike, we never did go with those since they were higher. Guess we got what we paid for

All I see on the Napa site with for stangs with factory air is remans. Have you been using those?

Last edited by TrimDrip; 03-13-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrimDrip View Post
Thanks Mike, we never did go with those since they were higher. Guess we got what we paid for

All I see on the Napa site with for stangs with factory air is remans. Have you been using those?
Sometimes reman is the only choice due to age and demand......I've used plenty of remans, although, I often opt for new if it's availible, in the summer when we do most of our a/c work, it's rare we get a comeback on a compressor we replace, new or reman, as long as system depending on the type of failure the car had, was flushed properly, correct oil added as well as proper amount of freon added, then we don't see them comeback often for compressor failure.

Quote:
Be polite and cordial when you talk to them, as pissing off the guys that can help you is seldom a good idea.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Adam R

Vehicle: 1993, Ford, Mustang LX

I ordered the reman compressor from latemodel resto, when it came it had a sticker saying it needed oil, i contacted latemodel resto and they told me to take it to a shop to have installed, I ordered the compressor and lines and all that to put it in myself, i plan on taking it somewhere to get properly vacuumed/filled but want to install it all myself, latemodel was of no help as to how much and what kind of oil to add before i put it together, anybody have an idea? thanks
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Adam R

Vehicle: 1993, Ford, Mustang LX

i take that back, i just got a vacuum pump and the manifold set to evacuate and fill it my self so i definitely need help on what pag oil to use and how much.
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
mjr46
Wal-mart lube/tire tech

r-12-134a conversions use ester oil not pag and an r-12 system should be charged 80% with r134a of the r-12 max quantity

Quote:
Old 04-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
TrimDrip
5th Gear Member

Hey thanks Mike, got the air going again. My fan smooth cut off on me while it was charging. It scrubs the shroud so I guess I am going to go ahead and order another one instead of trying a relay. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:56 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement