Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need help installing a Alpine CDE-9870 to stock Mach 460 system!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Schizman221

Default Need help installing a Alpine CDE-9870 to stock Mach 460 system!!

Hey everyone, I am new to forums and I am also a noob when it comes to audio so I need your HELP!!!

Ok, so I bought an Alpine CDE-9870 head unit along with the infamous Metra 70-5519 wire harness for my 02 mustang gt. I also got the metra installation kit but that doesn't matter right now. I want to install the head unit only and leave the factory Mach 460 amps and subs in there. The problem I am having is when I install everything and power up the radio, there is very little to no bass at all from the subs, but that is the only problem everything else works. The Alpine does have the RCA outputs in the back and I did make sure all of the wires are connected to where they are supposed to go, according to the wiring diagrams. If it matters I did connect all of the ground wires together from the radio and wire harness. I also soldered the wires to make sure they didn't come apart. The head unit does have the built-in high pass crossover but not the low pass, does the low pass have something to do with the problem???

Also, the metra wire harness only connects to 2 of the 3 plugs that were originally in the stock head unit, the one that is not being used has I think 3 wires connected to it. Could this be the problem??

I really need your help guys, I don't want to go back to the stock head unit that only plays CD's!!

Thanks and I hope we can work this out together.

P.S. - If you guys need any pictures of anything let me know.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:27 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help installing a Alpine CDE-9870 to stock Mach 460 system!!

breath in, breath out.....................

common problem, you do not have the amps turned on. Hook the blue and white on the alpine(remote turn on) to the blue on the deck hrns(amp turn on) The 3.5's are playing full range and will start to sound bad if you have the bass turned up. Some cheap capacitors can fix this.........
Old 08-16-2007, 05:48 PM
95 GT Vert

Is the blue wire on the Ford harness, on the main plug in (long inline 8 spade) or is it on one of the square plugs (top 2x4 or bottom 2x3) ??? I'm having a very similar problem with our 95 GT. Anywhere I can locate a wiring harness for the complete stereo wiring diagram?

Thanks for any light you can shed.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

page 2 of my sig shows how I did it on my 94 gt.

The amp turn on in the ford hrns will be in the grey/blk rectangular 8 pin hrns that has 5-6 wires comming out of it.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
95 GT Vert

I tried another known good 460 Radio today- no fix. [:@]

Ttocs- I checked your sig. pics. They're helpful but I'm still unclear about the exact plug [8D]in which the blue wire is in- mostly because there are 2 connectors with 8 spades. If I were to guess I would speculate the longer inline connector as it has 8 "slots" only 7 wires, however they are two blue wires in my harness (one light, one dark). Too many questions, but I appreciate any help.

Cheers.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 AM
95 GT Vert

New Info: www.installdr.com went there and got a very brief wiring diagram. It appears the connector I suspected (long inline ) is the one and that the dark blue wire is the amp turn on- although strangely on the above website it states that it's not used in this application? Multi-meter reads 4.5V on this wire with key on. I would suspect it should be 12V.

Schizman221- sorry for the partial thread high jack although they're rather the same subject.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Schizman221

Ok guys, sorry I have been inactive in this forum, but an intense storm came through and I have been without internet for 2 DAY!!!!

ttocs - on the Metra harness with the white plug connector there are 2 blue/white wires that are for the Amp turn-on, I have connected them to the 1 blue/white wire on the Alpine harness, the blue wire on the alpine harness is for the power antenna. I have the same feeling that the amps are not turning on but I have all of the wires where they are supposed to go according to the wiring diagrams for the metra harness and alpine.

I need to take care of some things now but when I get back I will take pictures of EVERYTHING so you guys can try and troubleshoot it for me. I will scan all of the wiring diagrams I have for the alpine deck and the metra harness, I will also take of picture of the the stock wiring harness and the metra/alpine harness to show all of the connections I have made.

I hope we will find the solution and to help anyone else out there with the same problem in the future!

P.S. - so the low-pass crossover wouldn't be the source of the problem?

'95 GT Vert - No hard feels about the partial high jack, we're all here for the same reason.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Schizman221

Ok, you will find the links below to the pics....

Metra Harness Wiring Diagram
Metra Amp Harness Wiring Diagram
Alpine Wiring Diagram
Metra/Alpine Harness' Connected
Close-Up of the Metra/Alpine Harness
Factory Wiring Harness (The plug towards the bottom is the one that is not being used with the new Metra/Apline Harness'.) (I also have no idea what it is for)

If it matters...
Alpine Deck Front
Alpine Deck Back

I think this covers everything that you guys might need, if you need anything else let me know. I hope this will help you guru's find out the problem that I am having. Also, do all of the ground wires that I connected need to be grounded to the vehicle chassis, or are they fine the way they are?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Schizman221

Well I have some good news, it turns out that everything was connected correctly and the problem was with the alpine deck. Before I didn't tune it right and that's why the subs weren't working, all I did now was change some settings on the deck and the subs work now. I guess I should have paid more attention to that before. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:57 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

doh, we didn't have the sub output turned on................