Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

11 GT Shaker 500 with Nav - speaker upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Default 11 GT Shaker 500 with Nav - speaker upgrade questions

Hey everyone,

So I'm new to all this, go easy on me.

I took my mustang into a car stereo shop and told the guy running the place that I'd like to improve the sound quality of the stereo and get a little more bass. He recommended a good 10" subwoofer with an amp, but he also wanted me to install some sort of device that disables the cars speed-sensing controls.

He said that as the car goes faster the stereo increases in volume, but it negatively affects sound quality, especially for low-end bass.

He said the device cost $500 and would be the best modification to my cars sound quality...but I've never heard of this before. Any thoughts?

I ended up purchasing the sub and amp (Hertz ES250 10" and a Memphis amp)
, but I didn't take him up on the other device.

I'm happy with the bass, but the sound quality in my car still sucks. I'm am handy, but I have ZERO experience with audio installation, so I'm not sure if I can take on installation of speakers.

What do you guys think? Is the guy smoking crack about this device? Should I be focusing on door speakers or a new amp? Imagine you already had a sub and had no intention of replacing the factory Nav and I gave you $300...what would you do first? What if I gave you $500?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:57 PM
TwentyThirteen
1st Gear Member

Your stock receiver allows you to shut off the speed::volume control. A "device" to disable the function seems a little off-putting to me. It's not totally outrageous to think there might be some kind of mod chip, but why bother? Just shut it off.

As far as losing quality, low end rolls off as your volume tapers down, Whether you turn the volume down manually or let the car do it for you.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Yeah, he said disabling it doesn't actually kill the portion that kills audio performance.

Also, he said that it was as the vehicle increased in speed and the audio increased in volume that things got worse, not as the speed/volume goes down.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 PM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

That's not true about the volume increasing/decreasing piece. He was probably trying to sell you a module that unlocks your nav controls while the vehicle is in motion. And as far as you still not being happy with the sound you may want to find out exactly where they tapped in for your l.o.c.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:53 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Forgive me, but I don't know what an IOC is.

Let's assume they installed the amp and sub correctly (they have an excellent and very long track record of doing good work), I was unhappy with the sound quality of the system going in, and the subwoofer and amp have cured my bass needs, but I'm still unhappy with the sound quality from the stock system...what should I do next? Get a 4-channel amp for the stock speakers? Buy new speakers and try to use the stock amp/HU? Something else?

Seriously, give me some options. I'd like to keep things in the $200-$500 range, with a focus on bang-for-the-buck. If this was your car, or a friends car, what would you recommend they do?

I listen to all kinds of music, mostly rock, but I particularly enjoy a crisp and clear sounding system. The only car stereo system I've ever enjoyed was in my 92 Mustang 5.0 LX that I had Pioneer speakers, a JVC headunit, and a JL W0 12" with an Alpine amp...but that was 10 years ago.

I'm just looking for an improvement.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:30 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Replacing the factory speakers will get you some improved sound, certainly. Budget is your call - for $200-300, you should be able to get some really nice stuff. The install isn't all that difficult - lots of how-to videos and documents around now. Many guys also report improved "sound" from replacing the factory head unit. If you want NAV, apparently Raxiom makes a nice drop in unit with NAV for the 11+ cars now. Most of the big name players make nice NAV units as well.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:32 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I'd install Focal speakers in the doors and the rear deck. You can DIY and if you buy from Crutchfield for example, they include detailed instructions on how to do as well as you can buy the couplers from the factory speaker harness to the aftermarket speakers. With any extra money, I'd add sound deadening materials during the install process.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 AM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

Gets Hertz ECX 5x7s all the way around and you will be more than happy. A LOC is a line output converter it hooks into ur speaker wires and turns them into RCA or low level output for your amp
Old 12-07-2013, 01:29 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Thanks to everyone. I decided to buy a pair of Pioneer TS-A6885R 6"x8" speakers for the front doors. I'm going to try them out and see if I notice an improvement. If I don't notice enough of an improvement I'm going to move these speakers to the rear and buy a component 5 1/4" speaker setup for the front...probably the Pioneer TS-A1305C.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:55 AM
artdohc
1st Gear Member

Just FYI, I installed the speakers and I really enjoy the improvement in sound quality. I think I'll buy another set and do the rear.

To anyone worried about installing speakers themselves, I've never done it before and it took me 40 minutes to install the driver side and 20 minutes to do the passenger side (much faster after getting the groove with the driver side).

Coming from a guy that usually pays someone to take care of electrical things, do the speaker install yourself.