Central MT, WY, CO, ND, SD, NE, KS

Can anyone in the Denver area assist in an inspection of a 66 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 07:16 PM
garywwelch
1st Gear Member

Default Can anyone in the Denver area assist in an inspection of a 66 mustang

I am flying into Denver this Saturday 10/2 to inspect a 1966 Mustang Fastback. Wondered if anyone in the Denver area with a strong back ground with the classic Mustang would do an inspection for me?
Thanks
Gary
email me at garyandwendywelch@yahoo.com
Old 09-29-2005, 12:34 AM
garywwelch
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Can anyone in the Denver area assist in an inspection of a 66 mustang

I found someone in Denver with a classic mustang resto shop that will do the inspection for $89.00 They will do a complete inspection and provide a written report of their findings. It does not include for example a compession test, but more of a visual inspection. I feel I can do this my self but would feel better if some on in the business of Mustang restoration would take a peek in the event I over look something. Any comment from MF?
Thanks
Gary
[sm=feedback.gif][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22651/7992D69FD88D4F20ACFA7101CAA8DBB3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-08-2005, 03:51 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can anyone in the Denver area assist in an inspection of a 66 mustang

its not the fact of someone inspecting the vehicle , its having the knowledge of knowing what to look for. First and formost you need to look at the visual asspect of the car. What does it look like? Does it lean to one side too much? Next, bring a handy heavy duty magnet with you. Take note that magnet wont stick to bondo, only metal. if the magnet grabbes on real weak, theres likely only a little bondo in place. Next pop the trunk and reach down in the wheel wells to feel for cancer. The trunk should be clear of rust or decay, if its there the trunk is leaking. Get on the ground with a screwdriver and start pooking around at each section of the floorboards, if the screwdriver goes thru, good indication of rust. while your under there look for rust on torque boxes, front and rear. And make sure the suspension is sound, (no twists in the tunnels for the strut rods, upper and lower control arms not bent etc.) From there move up to the interior, if you open the door and it smells like mildew, good indication of a cowl leak. Next and the best of all, look under the hood, and chech the shock towers for rust, dont be discouraged if there is, almost ever mustang gets it because water tends to settle on those low spots. Make sure that the shock towers havent been cut or welded, if so indication of a accident. Make sure to check the vin on the driver side apron it should start with a 6 for the year, than a f or an r for dearborn or san jose, than 01, 02, 03(o1 for coupe, 02 fastback, 03 conv.) next a T for 6 cylinder, C for 289 2v, A for 289 4v, K for 289 hipo, than 6 numbers for the consecutive number on assembly line. Match that vin to the vin on the inside of the drivers side door, if they match than u have a good car.... hope this little bit of info helps!!!