Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Brake coversion Tubing Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:08 PM
bakerboy

Default Brake coversion Tubing Question

I’m in the middle of a front manual drum to disc conversion. All’s well until I get to the master cylinder. The pre-belt lines are not working out. Two problems

First. The distribution block “in” port is larger that the other three “out” ports. Therefore the fitting from SSBC does not work. Could this be an other than stock distribution Block? Could the old MC & block have been change or is it the wrong fitting from SSBC?

Second. The location of the proportioning valve? The pre-bent line form SSBC puts the valve way below the distribution block. Is this where it should be? To re-bend the rear line should I cut it back and bend it under the steering column?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:41 PM
bakerboy

Default RE: Brake coversion Tubing Question

I called SSBC they say the included tubing is generic and the buyer needs to feild modify, add as neccessary.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:21 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

That's it... You also can use the distribution block as well, you just need to get a fitting to install so you can use the lines you have from SSBC. I did not use the SSBC setup but I had to get the fitting adapter to make everything work.

ORIGINAL: bakerboy

I called SSBC they say the included tubing is generic and the buyer needs to feild modify, add as neccessary.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:55 PM
acidrain088
2nd Gear Member

i redid all my lines while i was at it. the lines they give you dont fit at all they probably just give you the mistakes or something.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:03 AM
Hurricane_289

the imput and output on the dist. block for the rear drums are larger then the disc input and output, the drums require more volume than the discs in the front. i believe that the drums need a 1/4" plug and the disc need a 3/16. and the block is supposed to be mounted below the master.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:32 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

You can bend your own, you will need a tubing bender. Match the ends and length you need and be careful not to crimp. That is the normal not to get the right size fittings from the aftermarket companys, that is one area they could do a better job if they wanted. I gusee the ink that goes on the statment (the buyer needs to field modify) don't cost as much as providing the correct tube.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

We just completed a drum-to-disc swap about 2 months ago, and you definately need to visit Autozone and O'Reillys often when re-doing the brake lines. They will have all the little extra adapters and such to make anything fit to anything. In fact, I'm on a first name basis with the guys at our stores after that little exercize. Both places will also have extra lines if you happen to put a crimp in one of your new ones. Just becareful when bending a new line.