Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sdgrant... lookit someone's selling your Pace Car on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:39 PM
barona55

Default RE: Sdgrant... lookit someone's selling your Pace Car on Ebay

Thanks for the informative details, it was very interesting. How about this other purported ebay pace car? Item number 4621215329, it was on at the end of March:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4621215329
Old 05-14-2006, 02:11 PM
sdgrant

It's possible, but hard to say without a door tag or stripping the radiator support. It would be in the same time frame as the May 1, 1964 - built cars that were made to accommodate the ties in the sales contests. The VIN number is not in my list of known Pace Cars, so I would be highly suspicious of this one.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 AM
barona55

In the ad there's a picture with page one of a list of pace car vin numbers, but it seems pretty short since there are only around 43 coupes on it. Is this the list you have? Did Ford even keep a record the vins of every 1964 1/2 pace car built, or are the only lists available done by enthusiasts, with numbers being added as pace cars are re-discovered?

[IMG]local://upfiles/37292/623454A4E1064ADEBEE7E2056DD8057E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-15-2006, 01:19 PM
sdgrant

That list looks like it was pieced together from the information in the latest Mustang Production Guide. The last column is the code they use to identify the Pace Cars in the guide. My list started with that, and I've added other cars I've confirmed to it. I currently have a list of 60 Pace Car coupe VINs. As with all early Mustang records before '67, there is no Ford record of the VINs of the Pace Car coupes.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

$7,999?!?!?! that's all!?! **** i'll take three!!!!

someone got a raw deal on that car and something tells me that one got re-sold for a much better price!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:31 AM
barona55

Without a door dataplate there's probably no way to know for sure whether it is or isn't. Besides the same trim, were there other qualities unique to the pace cars? I read they had the improved hoods, but those can be added after. For that reason also, I don't know if finding 'pace car' on the radiator support would qualify as enough proof. Steve, are there more pics of your car on any web sites?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:43 PM
sdgrant

The "PACE CAR" lettering on the radiator support would a perfect indicator of a PC coupe because it could not be duplicated. The lettering only appears when the radiator support paint is removed and the lettering is "fossilized" into the metal, along with several other hand-written marks:

Actually, the only distinguishing features of a Pace Car coupe would be the radiator support marks, unique paint (Pace Car White), and the lettering. The stripes were a dealer option available in red, white, or blue for any Mustang. The paint is actually an alkyd enamel from Ford's truck line where it was called Pure White. The interior is standard Mustang code 42 (white, blue appointments). There are no mechanical differences from a standard 260 auto. coupe with power steering.

Many sources claim that "improved hoods" were used on the PC coupes. Actually, they had the same first-generation non-lipped hoods as all Mustangs of that era. This first generation of Mustang hoods appeared to be "improved" because they did not have the drop-down bevel on the leading corners. However, more recent findings have revealed a previous version of the Mustang hood that was used in the first six weeks of production. This hood had the same folded corners as a '65 -'66 hood, but did not have any dimples stamped into the leading edge like all other Mustang hoods. The lipped hood that many "experts" claim is the '64.5 hood did not appear until late April '64. See my early hood inventory at http://members7.clubphoto.com/steve4...ner-e08c.phtml
Old 05-17-2006, 10:02 AM
barona55

Sorry for all the questions, I just find this all interesting. So you used paint stripper to reveal the 'pace car' markings on the support, but the stripper did not remove the lettering? Or is another paint removal method employed? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but what do you mean the lettering is "fossilized" into the metal? Does the grease pencil somehow etch the metal over time? If so, does that mean the lettering is immune to strippers?

Old 05-17-2006, 12:07 PM
sdgrant

The paint has to be stripped chemically and fairly carefully in order to view the lettering. As you can see in my car's case, the first three letters aren't as visible because I stripped that part. The restoration shop stripped the rest and that lettering is much more visible.

The lettering was hand-written on the core support and painted over. Over time, the metal would age differently under the grease pencil, leaving these marks. The marks aren't permanent; when I had the whole car bead blasted, there was no evidence left of the marks.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 AM
RickM 64 1/2

Default I think i just picked up a Pace car ( coupe )

I'm new to the classic mustang world. Looking for better ways to identify.
5F07F113346
65A C 42 14D 71 1 6

Runs and looks mostly original.
What's not:
-Air cleaner ( however original is stored in the trunk)
- valve covers
- starter relay.

It Has:
- blue stripes
- white exterior
-White interior with blue dash and blue carpet
- 260 v8
- auto trans
- power steering
- original wheel covers ( stored in the trunk)
- original radio
- original keys
- black plates