Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang II "TOO" the lost ponies

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 02:15 PM
SHESA64

Default Mustang II "TOO" the lost ponies

An open letter to all you "Mustangers". Please don't forget the 1974-1978 years. Without this styling lil pony we would not have the cars we have today. They were the right car at the right time. Now they are all but forgotten, treated like an ugly red headed step child. I mean come-on they were even left out of the Mustang Monopoly game not once but TWICE!
My very first car was a 1975 Mustang Ghia. with a moon roof & all the options I LOVED that car & would give my eye teeth to have it back. My daughter just got her first car & guess what its a 1978 Mustang fastback. Even if you don't have one. Or even like them lets try to get them some respect. I would like to see them featured at least occasionally in any mustang publication & I REALLY think MCA need to make absolutely sure that the next Monopoly game has these lil gem of a Stang featured on it. ( I know MCA doesn't make the game but they approved it ).
I own a 1964 1/2 coupe , a 1970 fastback, & my daughter has the 1978 fastback we are trying to restore.
If your at a carshow or just cruising & see some Mustang II's stop say hi & check out the rides they really are cool lil cars & a very important part of Mustang history.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:40 PM
69fastback302
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang II "TOO" the lost ponies

they are called "ugly red headed step child" because they are .they dont have the right t obe called real mustangs. the mid seventies was a bad time for all cars except, sad to say it, some mopar products and vettes.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:37 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

You know, some of us with the original fastbacks may say the same thing about those big ***, long *** mustangs from 69 on, that spelled the eventual doom of the first generation Mustangs to begin with. [sm=smiley19.gif]

It takes a pretty damn arrogant turd to say that Mustang II's, aren't Mustangs to. [sm=smiley35.gif]Also, if Mustang II's are such crap, why is the front suspension such a hot item to get.

And by the way, my brother has a 74 Vette and it is a gutless pig.[sm=smiley21.gif]

I will lift my beer to a Mustang II any day, as it is a true Mustang reguardless of what the ignorant think.

Now have a nice day[sm=smiley16.gif]
Old 04-29-2004, 03:26 PM
Darrin O

I dont subscribe to the Mustang magazines anymore. I used to have subscriptions to Mustang Monthly and Mustang and Fords, but somewhere in the middle of my subscription Peterson publishing bought out one of them and they started to run the same exact articles a month or two apart. So I dropped my subscriptions about 3 years ago. However, they seemed to have a feature car every couple of months that was a Mustang II. I think that the reason that they dont have them all the time is because they try to reflect the perceived needs/wants of their readers. They also dont have a lot of 69, 70, 71 coupes. Basically the cars are not the ones that most people want. That is not to say that they werent good cars in their time, they just for one reason or another didnt have the appeal to a large number or people that another model did.

Personally, I liked some of the Mustang IIs. Hell, if Farrah Fawcett drove one around on Charlie's Angels, could it be all bad???

Darrin
Old 04-30-2004, 03:22 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

As much as I don't like them, they ARE Mustangs! I've even seen a few at shows that look pretty cool restored. What I feel for is the people trying to get parts for them-what a P.I.T.A. They kept it(the name)alive. I also agree that the mags should put more in there. I think that there aren't enough of them around that "measure up" to the standards of the publishers.