Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

basic knowledge needed as far as prioritzing repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 12:09 AM
jeremiah3003

Default basic knowledge needed as far as prioritzing repairs

I will give a list of basic thigns i need to deal with on car and could use some ideas as far as which to deal with first second etc....66 convertible w/302

brakes....pedal goes to floor on rare occassion, usually if I have been sitting on it for a while--plan on discs soon but

engine-- compression is down in two cylinders that was 4 years ago before it sat in a garage since. also some flaky chunky almost seems like paint when i popped valve covers off. still runs okay considering

need rebuild or get new carb.

tranny drops really hard into reverse. pretty serious thud sound. everything seems cool was rebuilt 4-5 yrs ago once again has been sitting

Cowl leaks a little popped the vent off and wasn't really sealed at all sligthly rusted not bad though, I think the collar and silicone thing will do the trick for a while

few holes in floor not huge but need to be sealed most on seams, inner rockers rusted out kind of bad as well as outers. Firewall cool except for slight cowl leak over time has gotten a little rust but not too bad at all.

tires are really old as well maybe from 89 or so.

driver side seat frame is trash I thinks eat is from 67 anyway so I need to remedy taht at some point,.

minus other body dings, paint, blah blah, cosmetic stuff, interior things I can deal with

any ideas would be appreciated. budget thing say maybe 12-1300 a month until september.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:38 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: basic knowledge needed as far as prioritzing repairs

I'd start with the rust problems, its only gonna get worse and more costly the longer it sets. Tires would be next if their that old, not really safe to drive on 15 year old rubber - its prolly hardened, cracked, and has flat spots by now from sitting so long. I'd go through the brake system next, then the engine last - since you may change your mind about what you want done to it by then. Thats what I'd do at least.