Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

cowl induction hood + water = ...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:22 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Default cowl induction hood + water = ...?

Hey guys, my car is due for a paint job in the next year or so, I'm thinking cowl induction style hood, "ducktail" trunk lid (with the little side peices) and then the 64-66 68 shelby style tail lights. My question is: If I was to get the cowl induction hood (with the big opening facing the windshield) what would happen if it rained!? Being my daily driver this is kinda important (not like we get rain in texas all taht often) Is there a special peice of weather stripping to keep water otu of the engine? or is it nothing to worry about? (unless of course i went though a big ayus puddle) Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Gun Jam

Default RE: cowl induction hood + water = ...?

Not totally sure but I would guess it would strip most of the water before it made it to the carb.

I have the front facing scoop that is set up a tad different then most, I have two hollow foam pads that are attached to two large square cut outs under the scoop. the pads follow the outline of the cutout (like 4 foam walls to guide the air) the pads press down on top of my K&N xtream airfilter lid and guide the air directly into the top of the lid. it does help separate the water from the air. During heavy rain I insert a foam scoop block into the scoop to stop all air/rain from entering.

Not sure if a scoop block would be possible on something like you have.

Gun
Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EmperorOfChicken

Hey guys, my car is due for a paint job in the next year or so, I'm thinking cowl induction style hood, "ducktail" trunk lid (with the little side peices) and then the 64-66 68 shelby style tail lights. My question is: If I was to get the cowl induction hood (with the big opening facing the windshield) what would happen if it rained!? Being my daily driver this is kinda important (not like we get rain in texas all taht often) Is there a special peice of weather stripping to keep water otu of the engine? or is it nothing to worry about? (unless of course i went though a big ayus puddle) Thanks for any advice!
Nothing... if ya want one, go for it... rain will not cause you problems...
Old 09-10-2006, 04:09 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

The carb is almost two feet from the cowl on some cars. Rain doesnt often travel horizontally, its more of a gravity thing unless there is a brisk wind. Still the wind is blocked by the rear half of the car. Have a cowl hood on a 79 Firebird, it actually needed it since the base for the carb on the manifold is 1/2" ABOVE the fenders, such is life with a Victor and 1050 Dominator. Well anyway All winter it sat outside, and even the snow didnt get in under the 3" cowl. It came in through the open fenderwells and grille, but not from the cowl. Vents were clean...

If you like the look of a cowl hood, just do it. It wont hurt anything. An open hole above the carb will, but not any sort of scoop..