Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Stang ?s

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:41 AM
maxplustenhemi

Default 67 Stang ?s

Hey there, i own a 67 mustang coupe... it was my first car... just a standard 6 cyl automatic car. I recently got in an accident and tore the front clip off. Im in the process of fixing it but i figure while i got everything torn apart it might be time for an upgrade in the power train. The engine was undamaged but ive always hated how the thing lacked so much power. Im a Mopar guy so i dont know much about stangs even though i own one, my current hot rod is a 70 challenger vert. with a late model truck motor in it, but i need some help with the stang. A friend of mine has a 77 ford ltd with a 302 in it that hes gonna sell me for 200 bucks... i was wondering what id need to do to pull the power plant from the ltd and put it in the stang... i assume it would bolt up but my question is what all needs to be done. I imagine along with changing it id go ahead and put the rear and tranny out of the ltd in too. the curent rear in the stang is a ford 8 inch (im told) and the tranny is a c-4 (if im not mistaken). The rear in the ltd is a ford 9 inch and the tranny is some sort of ford manual (i think it might be a toploader) just need to know what needs to be done and how much it would cost to transfer these things over. My second question is can i throw the 6 cyl, tranny, and rear in the ltd so i can sell it? Thanks in advance for any help u guys can give me
Old 07-18-2004, 12:59 AM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 67 Stang ?s

The motor mounts are different. The 6 cly C4 won't bolt to the V8. If you use the trans from the LTD you will need a different length driveshaft. The brakes will need an uprade. The rear from the LTD is to wide for the stang. Also, are you sure the 77 LTD II's have a 9". If it has an inspection cover it isn't a 9".

I understand the Mopar love. When I was a kid my dad was an engineer at Chrysler in the early sixties. He was in the Ramchargers Club when they formed. I remember playing in the garage while they worked on that 49 Plymouth with the 392 Hemi in it. "High N' Mighty" was the name of it. We had the engine out of one of the cars they campained in '62 swapped into our 55 Plymouth Belvedere family car. I bought a 66 Olds 442 and was real proud of it. Dad wouldn't let me park on the driveway because he said all GM cars leak!
Old 07-18-2004, 01:09 AM
maxplustenhemi

thanks man, certainly helps... since im on a budget i might just put it off for now... i was thinkin just a few quick turns of a wrench and id have a quicker stang lol. Eventually ill do it but for now i think ill hold off. Your probley right about the 9 inch rear thing, i have no idea about them. I got my challenger for those quick blasts down the strip so ill keep the mustang fuel efficient for now lol. I dont have a prob with GMs either, my grandpa has an 69 olds nignty eight with a 455 in it and my dads owned a bunch of camaros. My hearts pumped chrysler oil but i like any car as long as it looks good and goes fast [&:]
Old 07-18-2004, 02:53 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

If your looking for power that LTD engine isn't going to help you. The late 70's was the dark age of cars. The engine probably has the same hp as your 6 if not less. There is also a lot of smog equipment built into those engines which may make hp less than advertized. Just a heads up.