Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Looks like Ford is headed for the outhouse

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:26 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Looks like Ford is headed for the outhouse

ORIGINAL: Lumbergh
That's a mighty big price range. When I was looking for a new car a couple of years ago, I test drove a Scion tc-and didn't like it-but it was affordable, low $20k. You might be able to get a used 3 series BMW for the same price as a Scion tc but not a new one, not in my experience. Then again maybe a 3 series is cheaper than I thought.
i like how we got totally off topic but ill continue it. what didnt u like in the scion tc. i might b getting one. i have a friend that bought a 3 series bmw. she likes it but like i said....she wishes she didnt. it was a little too pricey and has some electrical problems with it. the scion tc i can get for 17k (i hope) and i kinda wanna know what u didnt like about it. also u were talking about toyota being under suit about something.....what was that about...just wanna know who and what im buyin from.....if i do
Old 01-27-2007, 04:35 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

maybe they are gunna make a toyota mustang LMAO and for is gunna sue them not likely to happen though since toyota is ford in a way cause henry ford invited eigie(dunno how to spell) Toyota to america and showed him how to build cars and what was involved and i think he even gave him some funding to start a factory (this was on history channel about 6 months ago) but he improved on the ford assembly line by making it leaner and super efficient but toyota went with GM desgned motors where do you think they got their 6cyl from and their new v8 they are GM engines they even have a gm sticker on them but go pop open a cobalt or a cavalier and look at the 4 cyl and tell me what stamped all over it toyota thats what but i hate toyota's but they do make a good diesel
Old 01-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: longlive289s
i like how we got totally off topic but ill continue it. what didnt u like in the scion tc. i might b getting one. i have a friend that bought a 3 series bmw. she likes it but like i said....she wishes she didnt. it was a little too pricey and has some electrical problems with it. the scion tc i can get for 17k (i hope) and i kinda wanna know what u didnt like about it. also u were talking about toyota being under suit about something.....what was that about...just wanna know who and what im buyin from.....if i do
Toyota recalled 750,000 '01-'04 Tacomas, 4Runners, Sequoias, and Tundras in 2005 for faulty ball joints. They just announced a recall of over 500,000 '04-'07 Sequoias and Tundras for ...... faulty ball joints. It's been reported that their head of manufacturing was trying to cover up a handfull of accidents linked to faulty ball joints, a problem that had supposedly been fixed. Toyota had over 1.75 million vehicles recalled last year in the US and Japan combined (750,000 in the US). Then there was the possibel engine sludging problems in the Camrys (some debate on this one). While I don't believe ther was ever an official recall, the engien warranty was extended to 100,000 miles, I believe. There are worse things, GM's notorious intake gaskets for one, I mean how long did it take them to address that?

The Scion tc did not offer me a comfortable driving position, I did not find it sporty enough in terms of acceleration or handling for a car that markets itself as a sporty car, and the rear seat was impossibly unusable for me or my wife. At the time we were looking for a car that could be used for long trips and when we were carrying more than two people, basically a sports sedan. We've got her Cobra Mustang, afterall. I ended up getting a Mazda6s (V6) for $17.5k. Good room, comfortable, peppy enough, decent handling, and above average appearance (to my taste). When we get my wife her next car, it will probably end up being another muscle car (Mustang GT) or possibly some other sporty car depending on the status of the '68 Mustang by then.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:35 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

The key to BMW's is being able to do the work yourself. In general the mechanics that work on bimmers will rip you off. The german straight six is something to be envied.

I own a nissan, ford and bmw. Even though it has not broken in 160k, I will sell my pathfinder after I get the mustang running and probibly buy another bmw. Every car company has their weak points. GM=everthing, bmw = cooling system, but the way a bimmer dirves is somehting to be coveted by anyone that likes to feel in control of the road. If you want a car that drives like a 60's caddy, then buy a lexus.

If you maintain a BMW up to factory specs it will outlast basically every car on the road. The reasons you see more hondas and yodas is because the maintenance of those vehicles is not as intensive, so when people that don't have any money own them, they can run them without breaking down.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:55 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

But before I would take$.01 pay cut, the 5000 VP's atFOMOCO making $500,000 plus crazy stock options would take one with me. They are the ones responsible for lousy designs, and bad engineering, not the UAW. Just my .02....
very true, i believe everyone within the company should take a pay cut, and the more money you make the bigger cut you should take. i understand even the guys making 500k a year have significantly higher morgages and im sure their bills are higher than the guy making 25 bucks an hour - but they can all suffer slighty TOGETHER.

brandon, please dude for my sanity and eyeballs....... use a comma or period once in a while. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:04 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

But before I would take$.01 pay cut, the 5000 VP's atFOMOCO making $500,000 plus crazy stock options would take one with me. They are the ones responsible for lousy designs, and bad engineering, not the UAW. Just my .02....
very true, i believe everyone within the company should take a pay cut, and the more money you make the bigger cut you should take. i understand even the guys making 500k a year have significantly higher morgages and im sure their bills are higher than the guy making 25 bucks an hour - but they can all suffer slighty TOGETHER.

brandon, please dude for my sanity and eyeballs....... use a comma or period once in a while. Thanks!
Why do you all seem to think that the executives aren't taking paycuts? The paycuts they are taking are much bigger than anyone else in fact. Sure they might still be making a a few hundred thousand in income like they were before but that's nothing. They are also given stock in their contracts and that is where they're taking the pay cuts.

+1 on BT using a period
Old 01-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal

The key to BMW's is being able to do the work yourself. In general the mechanics that work on bimmers will rip you off. The german straight six is something to be envied.

I own a nissan, ford and bmw. Even though it has not broken in 160k, I will sell my pathfinder after I get the mustang running and probibly buy another bmw. Every car company has their weak points. GM=everthing, bmw = cooling system, but the way a bimmer dirves is somehting to be coveted by anyone that likes to feel in control of the road. If you want a car that drives like a 60's caddy, then buy a lexus.

If you maintain a BMW up to factory specs it will outlast basically every car on the road. The reasons you see more hondas and yodas is because the maintenance of those vehicles is not as intensive, so when people that don't have any money own them, they can run them without breaking down.

yeah, and if you cant find a 3 series in good condition for 17k range....well......move out of that remote abondoned hut in the middle of no where and just look on craigslist! lol

i mean i dono....id just as soon but that 17k into a high yeild savings account from HSBC or like a 6 month CD or something....no point in wasting it on something when u could be getting a better performer....thats just my opinion though....dosent really matter if you like what you like.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:50 PM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

They are also given stock in their contracts and that is where they're taking the pay cuts.
Did you see where I said that Ford is trading within $1 of it's 52 week high? Very few high execs have taken a paycut, most are middle management.