Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How to paint Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How to paint Chrome

Will it etch or neutralize theoxides you can't see that will lead to problems later? Just trying to learn something new. Personally I have seen some of these leave a residue of some type.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:19 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

no it will not it will clean the part but it will not etch it like phosphoric acid will like avaiable in ospho or in a etch primer
Old 01-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I used steel wool on a set of chrome valve covers. Worked very well and is a good workout, too.

When I was done, I used the wool to knit a new door panel.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

I used steel wool on a set of chrome valve covers. Worked very well and is a good workout, too.

When I was done, I used the wool to knit a new door panel.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 01-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Never mind. It sold for $102.50. Can you believe that? You can get a new repop for $36.95. Needless to say I didn't win it.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I know it does not matter anymore, since you didn't get the part, but anyway,what I have heard is that to properly paint chromed Items, you are supposed to have the items "de-chromed" at a chrome shop. It is my understanding that the process is reversed by changing the polarityin the plating procedure. Thats just what I read somewhere a longtime ago.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

I know it does not matter anymore, since you didn't get the part, but anyway,what I have heard is that to properly paint chromed Items, you are supposed to have the items "de-chromed" at a chrome shop. It is my understanding that the process is reversed by changing the polarityin the plating procedure. Thats just what I read somewhere a longtime ago.

While it is an electroplating process, I don't see how just reversing the polarity would work. You might be able to remove the chrome plating using another electrochemical process but it would also require a different solution and different electrode. No personal experience withchrome plating, but I do know a bit about electrochemistry (most of which I have forgotten)from my chemistry classes in college (chemical engineering degree).
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lumbergh

ORIGINAL: JMD

While it is an electroplating process, I don't see how just reversing the polarity would work. You might be able to remove the chrome plating using another electrochemical process but it would also require a different solution and different electrode. No personal experience withchrome plating, but I do know a bit about electrochemistry (most of which I have forgotten)from my chemistry classes in college (chemical engineering degree).
Whatever the process, (it has been a long time ago), it is my understanding that de-chroming is somthing that chrome shops do, it seems logical to me that one of the first steps involved in re-chroming an object would be de-chroming it, one way or another, to get the nasty stuff off. For one reason or another, I dont think they remove it mechanicly.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure it's chemical, probably electrochemical, just not a reverse of the plating method. The only thing that would make sense to me would be a process that attacks the chrome without damaging the substrate. Could be a particular solvent or a particular solvent coupled with an electriccurrent to dissolve the chrome plating.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:23 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

you could try this here in the smoke color i think that might look cool it will just look like it has been anodized
do you guys think that could work for my vent window frames?????????? the chrome is sorta peeling and i dont really wanna buy new ones that wont fit good or be able to buy the new repro like 5 times over by getting them re-chromed....they are good phsyically its just the idiot owner before me over sprayed them with primer and stuff....id like to just scuff and/or spot blast then spray with the chrome stuff there.....actually...come to think of it....all my chrome has overspray on it.....some windows two...... [:@]
use super fine steel wool like 0000 fine but u have to blow the surface off or it will leave little pieces of broken steel wool behind which will rust and stain the surface