Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

neeed mustang help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: neeed mustang help

ORIGINAL: groho

use the one piece oil pan gasket from felpro part # os34508r, 87-92 5.0, it's solid rubber with formed shims to prevent over-tightening the pan.was incredibly easy to put in and no worry on the leaks. I've seen prices ranging from $18 to $30. any normal parts place would carry it.
I have found that even with these high quality gaskets, sealer must be used on the ends around the timing cover and over the rear main cap.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Vikefan88
2nd Gear Member

hey.. yea well we put in a rubber one peice for the oil pan and put sealant on the cruved part of the pan which is beneath the timing chain cover and beneaht the rear main seal... but the wen i crawl under neath and take of the stater the wetest part is the two last bolts on the oil pan on the passenger side before u have the two bolt directly on the back of the pan.. i though i had over tighten them but i didnt i know ur juss sopposed to hand tighten them like the valve cover bolts... so i get to wonder if its the oil pan.. but directly above them is the block wheres its painted blue and its wet wen i run my han on in.. right above where the starter goes.. and its not like a downward drip like its almost ever where.. even the motormouts are a bit wet.. but my most concern is right on top of the starter.. i mean the starter is wet.. and soare the headers a bit.... i have such bad luck... i have also cleaned it all up with a wrag.. so its dry.. run the car on jack stands..that way i the drip woudl have a beter chance of juss coming down instead of when i drive it may spalsh everywhere.....and i get the same results...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 AM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

Try spinkling some talk powder around the areayou think the leak is coming from. It makes it easier to see the oil.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Hey,,, I just read another thread that directly reminded me of another place where SBFs can leak.

Some crankshafts are drilled all the way through where the flywheel/flexplate bolts on. These holes end up on the inside of where the rear seal seats. If sealant is not used on these bolts, oil will leak here to one degree or another.

From what I have read, these holes that go all the way through are common on newer engines, but with your stroker, I think the possibility is high that you have these holes that pass clean through.The stroker kits are designed to be somewhat "universal", meaning that they will work with 1 piece or two piece rear seals, which says to me late style machining.