Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Choke Thermostat/ fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:52 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Choke Thermostat/ fix

For those of you who remember I was having trouble starting my 66. Well, I took your advice. I adjusted the points gap (it was about 2 times too big) and then had my buddy hold the choke while I started it. To give you an idea of how well it worked: Its about 18 degrees here in colorado, there is about a foot of snow on the gound, and the stang started on the second try! After that it ran better then it did even when I bought it!!!

So here is my question: Is there a way to fix the 'choke thermostat' on the side of the carb? or is there a place where I could buy a new one? OR is there a way that I could convert the carb to a manual choke? It seems like its not completely broken, but the spring just doesnt have the power to close the choke when its cold.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:29 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Choke Thermostat/ fix

nice one

loosen (not fully open) the 3 screws around the black thermostat housign. the cylinder.
mark the position it's on at the moment and turn it counterclockwise (rich). when you feel it going a bit heavier push the accelerator once fully. does the choke close then ? if yes, it's just misadjusted
let us know what carb it is and i'll give you directions on how to adjust the choke
pictures would be good (airfilter taken off)

Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
JamesW

Invest in a Pertronics electronic ignition module. You'll never have to change/set points again and it will run better. It's the best 75 bucks you'll spend on the car.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JamesW

Invest in a Pertronics electronic ignition module. You'll never have to change/set points again and it will run better. It's the best 75 bucks you'll spend on the car.
very true. I got the full distributor with external coil from them as mechanical and vacuum advance was shot anyway. fantastic. HUGE difference.

Let us know how you get on with the choke. Just to let you know when you turn the cylinder the choke will mostly not change until you press the accellerator fully (just to let you know). You can always block the accelerator full open on the carb itslef and then turn the thing.
Remember where it was as this test is just for a quick check if the spring _can_ actually do it's work once properly adjusted

Kalli
Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Okay, so im pretty sure the choke does work, but it is just not adjusted right. today the temp outside was like 20 degrees and the choke was a little less than half way shut, but after holding it closed and letting the car warm up, it straitened out and was alot tougher to move. SO, how do i adjust the choke, the car is a 66 with the stock autolite 2bbl
Old 01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

The choke will not close full until you hit the throttle one time. Then it should full close. If it doesn't, loosen the three screws on the black disc and rotate slightly until the choke is closed. Once the car is warmed up you need to check the the choke fully opens.