Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ultimate Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:11 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

Default Ultimate Suspension?

Ive found a suspension kit for my 70 and i wanted to get yalls opinion on it. im trying to upgrade my 70 to all new coil over suspension and power discs and rack and pinnon power steering.The coilover IFSkit includes
-Frame reinforcing plates and inner fender panels
-Jig welded crossmember
-Upper a-arm and shock mounting tower
-Urethane bushed upper and lower tubular a-arms
-Total Cost Involved Custom IFS dropped spindles
- Bolt-on steering arms for correct turning radius and ackerman
-Standard power rack and pinion
-TCI All American coilover shocks with black powder coated springs
-Eleven inch vented rotors with OEM GM calipers
let me know what you think.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:20 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Ultimate Suspension?

The rear the lower links look too small the front looks like a mustang 2 knock off.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:51 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

its not worth the money on a 70's coupe. If you were making a 100k 67/68 fastback i would say go for it.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:07 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Rear id go with http://www.evolutionmsport.com/evmCa...products_id=49 or http://www.hdrcoupe.com/pages/Max-G-suspension.php there front for the mustang has no pictures yet tell so tcp or global west coilovers brakes http://www.mustangsteve.com/BRAKES.html cobra brakes are pbr samething baer really is.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

as has already been said the Mustang II set up is simply not worth it. the only advantage is being able to have more room in the engen compartment. A coil over set up such as TCP, Ron Morris, or Global west would be much better and then you can go with many of the other R&P options.

TCP

Ron Morris

Global West

Old 01-05-2008, 11:00 AM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

so would a coil over kit such as tcp be worth it?... cuz they run over 2k for the kit. now say you take the grab a track or something simular for $500 thats 4 tims the cost for the tcp kit*if i did the math right*would you guys agree that the coil over kit is more the 4 times better in the handling. cuz im looking at redoing my suspension but i havent decieded on which direction to go. money isnt an issue and i would gladly pay 2+k for the tcp kit if its worth it but im not really into paying 2+k for a kit that handles like a $500 dollar grab a track. ( im not saying grab a track is not good, im just saying) any advise for me or 1970coupe
Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Unfortunately it does not work that way (the math) A stroker kit can double the cost of rebuilding a motor, but it does not double the HP in most cases or aluminum heads $1000 for 30-40 HP there again not a direth equation between improvement and cost. Same applies to the suspension simply because something is 4 times more expensive does not make it 4 times better. Coil over setups simply smooth out the front suspension and make it more responsive more like a new car. I do feel they are over priced, I am building my own and will probably have about $800 in to it when I am done. That is the problem with so many of the aftermarket parts companies big $$$ I understand they are in business to make money but at times it seems a little over the top. The worst part is that a big reason for the cost is liability insurance. We are such a sue crazy society that places must protect them selves and we as the consumer pay for their protection.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:32 AM
IM RICKY BOBBY
1st Gear Member

daze i didnt mean that they are 4X better, more so in the sence that they are that good of a suspension kit, worth paying 4time the amount. are they better in the cornering aspect or more just for a smooth ride. i live in the foot hills of california and i want something thats really gonna corner good and handle the road excellent,i dont know if that would be concidered a track or more a road corse.and i only want to give up the comfort as little as possible. kinda like what you said and handle like a new car. cuz a 07 mustang handles so much better then my 69 stang with 40 yr old suspension. and would you buy them if you just had the extra cash lying around someplace
Old 01-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like we have the same goals in mind. I live in NW Montana so curvy hilly narrow roads are on the agenda every day. My car has had 620 coil springs on it and I hated them because I was loosing ride quality for performance, so I took them off. My current configuration handles very well and is wonderful on the roads around here. Basically it is performance stock in its current configuration. As you may or may not know I am putting IRS in the rear and wanted to improve the front to match and that is why I am building a coil-over set up. The reason I chose coil over is it still maintains the basic Ford suspension design so it will work with my other performance parts, improves ride quality, improves ride responsiveness, and by improving the leverage through connecting the coil over to the LCA rather than the UCA like stock you get the same performance with softer springs and that makes for a smoother ride. Is it worth the money?? I can't say for you weather it is or not, but I do know this, every one I have talked to has indicated a vast improvement by going with a coil over kit.