Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:17 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: performance upgrades?

someone on another forum(Cant remember witch one) told me that if i put aluminum heads on a cast block that the heads will warp and be ruined is that true?
and thanks, now its time to convince my dad to buy new heads and a cam.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

also, all of you seem to know what your talking about so, any suggestion on a cam? if i get those World Products Windsor Jr's what cam should i get to go along with them?
thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

No, it's not true. Manymodern cars comefrom the factory with bi-metal engines. Yes,aluminum headscan warp on a cast ironblock, but that doesn't mean they will. You do have to take care not to overheat the engine though, as it will likely result in a set of warped heads. Also a very good idea to let the engine warm up more than normal as cast iron and aluminum expand at different rates. Pounding on a cold bi-metal engine is a good way to warp the heads.

I'm leaning towards the cast iron Windsor Jr heads myself when I get around to it. I like the durability of cast, and those heads flow better than most ported stock heads straight out of the box.

Do you do more in-town driving, freeway, a mix,or is this a weekend warrior car? Auto or manual? What rear gears? These things also go into what kind of cam you'd need.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:32 PM
dugan
2nd Gear Member

this is my daily driver, my overall goal for the car is to have a fast/quick car that i can take to drag strip on occasion, but also keep it street friendly. it is a automatic with c4. i still don't know what exacly the rear gears are they were changed by the guy that the guy i bought it from. the guy i got it from didnt know what they were. i am suspecting 4.11's or lower... is there any way i can check myself?