Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Thinking about the Flaming River box...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:18 PM
redstallion
2nd Gear Member

Default Thinking about the Flaming River box...

I've got a 67 V8 with PS and 115k on the clock. I know the R&P setup is the best way to go, but i think i'll be looking for the 2nd best option because of my headers, lack of $, and the mods needed to do the swap.

My stock steering box is really loose and the steering is also really light. I'm used to it since I've been driving it for 4 years, but it's time to upgrade. I've already put almost all new front suspension on it so that is tight.....and I have adjusted the screw on the box....it helped for a little bit but it seems worse than ever now.

So I'm seriously considering the FR box and keeping my PS. Does anyone else have that setup? I've heard that it is a lot tighter and holds up better, but will i feel more resistance in the wheel too? Thanks for any help
Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 PM
stanger53
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about the Flaming River box...

A lot tighter?
Well, tighter than your loose box. Tighter than the original box when it was new, or a properly rebuilt original box? No. If you don't get a good one, you may be worse off.

Holds up better?
No. Argentine made and the internal parts are not as nicely machined as original pieces. Though the FR box advertises as having needle bearing construction like it was a big selling point, the original Mustang boxes used needle bearings also. The FR box, though advertised as all new, only has a one year warranty. Most rebuilds have at least this, the better ones have a longer warranty.

On the other hand, quite a few people have been pleased with them. If you have adjusted your original box, and it was better then got worse, you probably over-adjusted it and have now ruined the rack block and sector teeth in it, and it will never be tight again.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Gun Jam

I have the F/R gearbox and am happy with it. People insist that a rebuild is the better way to go. I dont know I have never tried out a rebuilt original gear box. But I do know that the f/r gearbox is great and has held up fine so far and i have had it on a few years now.

I just ditched all my power steering crap and run that f/r box manual its not too difficult to steer the car and road feel is excellent.

-Gun
Old 01-31-2008, 04:21 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

I installed a TCP power rack and pinion. They shipped some wrong parts but to their credit corrected it.
Also installed a Flamin' River column. Again some parts missing and they have not answered three emails
on getting the right parts. Whatever you go with make sure you can get support as these things never
seem to go smoothly.

Jav
Old 01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
redstallion
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gun Jam

I have the F/R gearbox and am happy with it. People insist that a rebuild is the better way to go. I dont know I have never tried out a rebuilt original gear box. But I do know that the f/r gearbox is great and has held up fine so far and i have had it on a few years now.

I just ditched all my power steering crap and run that f/r box manual its not too difficult to steer the car and road feel is excellent.

-Gun
I've considered changing over to manual steering, but it is a daily driver and i have some wider tires (235's). Flaming river is probably the way for me to go. What about getting more resistance in the wheel? The steering seems too light to have good control. Are there dampeners or any other way to help with this.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 AM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

Another option is the Borgeson Blueprinted box, Cheaper than the flaming river and the work is done in the US.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

ORIGINAL: JapanGT

Also installed a Flamin' River column. Again some parts missing and they have not answered three emails
on getting the right parts.
Jav
Have you tried calling the Flaming River tech support number? I called them up all pissed off when I had an issue when I was installing their R&P setup in my 67 and within 2 hops I was talking to the owner/president or whatever his title is. He was really very cool and took care of me with a quickness.

I never have had much luck with email responses from most companies.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

ORIGINAL: JapanGT

on getting the right parts.
Jav
Have you tried calling the Flaming River tech support number? I called them up all pissed off when I had an issue when I was installing their R&P setup in my 67 and within 2 hops I was talking to the owner/president or whatever his title is. He was really very cool and took care of me with a quickness.

I never have had much luck with email responses from most companies.

Glad to hear they helped you out. Yes, I did give them a call, and though friendly on the phone, my issue did not get resolved.
I will try again and ask to speak to the owner.

Jav