Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

summit exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 PM
sixtysevenstang
1st Gear Member

Default summit exhaust system

hi, i recently bought a summit exhaust system for my 67 coupeoff a friend of mine who ordered it for his 65, and realized he didnt want the tailpipes toexit out the sidesin front of the back tires, so he sold it to me, becasue thatshow i want mine. anyways, my car soundsabsolutly incredible with open headers, i had alot of work done to the engine, and im afraid ill loose that soundonce i install the pipes. this is my firstmustangwith a worked engine and i want to know if the summit muflers and 2.5 inch pipe will be ok along withthe engine i have. will it choke the engine out? this may be a dumb question but i dont know. how much will the mufflers quiet the car down? should i keep the pipes and get better mufflers, or just install it and see what happens? im new at all this. been around cars my whole life, but this is the first one that I am doing myself. thanks for any help, its greatly appreciated!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:39 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: summit exhaust system

Dude I hear ya on the sound!
I have a s/c 347 wicked cam shakes everything in my neighborhood.
Fact is a good h pipe and flowmasters,magna or whatever flows good will make power not take it away.
You need back pressure. Plus only so much you can take after a while on the freeway cruising about 2300 BWAAAA!!!!!!!!
The tickets would add up fast here. lol

Where Im lost @ is the 2.5" vs 3" on what we have for engines. Way above stock.
Ill let you know when I find out what ill do.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 PM
sixtysevenstang
1st Gear Member

what about an X pipe? the car is very loud, i havent even reved it past 3500 yet, and its incredible. i had a few people tell me that they have never heard a 289 sound like that. the kid i bought the system from has the 65 coupe that he put a .30 over 302, 4.88 cam, trw pistons, ported stock heads, and an edelbrock RPMintake manifold with a 650 holley on and it sounds NOTHING like my car with open headers.. he put the summit rear exit exhaust on and it still sounds decent, but got quieter.my cam is slightly bigger, and my heads are worked more then his, so im sure ill have better sound. i might be installing the system this weekend if all goes well. ill try to get a vid and post it.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

X pipe or h pipe same concept. If you gota have that open header sound Doug Thorley has some very nice electric ones but high $$$
Quick time performance has some more reasonable. Then again there is always the ones you do by hand but You cant change those on the fly.