Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Buying a Mustang in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:46 PM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a Mustang in the UK

Shipping cost on parts to Australia is running about 40% to 50% of the actual cost price.
So you might want to factor that into your budget.

Jav
Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
BAY68_347
2nd Gear Member

Good luck with your shopping... I hope you find something that works out well for you.

The more I thought about this one, the more I thought how this would be a perfect time for Europeans looking to import American made/owned cars. When the US Dollar has been strong, imports of Italian and Bristish cars has been strong. The dollar is weak now, we are flirting with recession... It is about the worst time for Americans to be buying. So right now, whoever is willing to put out the cash...whether for property or luxuries (i.e. most of our cars)... everything is for sale right now.

I'll try not to think about what it would be like to go and buy a nice used 1968 Aston Martin or Jag for $10k and pay $1000 to have it shipped from London and dropped off at my door...
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 PM
mightythor99
1st Gear Member

the best way to get a feel for what it would cost you, and what you would get for your $$, is to look on ebay, and study what they sell for. a good workable fastback, depending on motor, sells on ebay for $5,000-8000.....the more you spend, the more you are going to get. that is in us dollars.............someone commented about euro's...........they spend english pounds in england guys. there are lots of places that sell mustang parts in the us, i am sure they will take anyone's credit cards, the best thing for you to do, is to work with someone here in the US, that will recieve your parts, and place them inside the car for transport, and make sure you insure them. the ****ty thing now, is that everything has to go airmail...............so if you buy an interior kit for your car,....seat covers, carpet, etc,........the postage will kill you. if you do it all at once, and ship it inside the car (not installed,...........just placed inside it, in the back, trunk, etc,.......it will save you hundreds and hundreds of extra dollars.
i buy most of my parts from "the paddock",.............. http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/...asp?URLCheck=1
they are fairly close to where i live, and have lots of cool stuff! fair prices..........and easy to understand internet viewing. some stuff is still pretty expensive,...........they are more into "restoration" parts,..........so stuff like tie rods, pitman arms, etc, are a lot cheaper to buy at the auto parts stores, or also on ebay, vs. buying them from the restoration places. what you need to make sure you get, is to spend enough money on the car you choose, so that you get the interior parts you will need,..........etc, if you are wanting it to look "original", or maybe you want to design that part yourself, and use stuff you can get over there. example...........i just bought a 64 1/2 convertible project..........i got a good deal on it, i picked it, because i have alot of the stuff it needs.........it is missing the interior, but has the back seat,...........i have a couple sets of buckets for it, dash pads, etc. i am going to have to have floors welded in it, so the rug, etc, is gone..........i was going to put a new rug in it anyway, so i dont mind that being gone............but, if i had to find some seats, the postage is high, and whatever i buy, is going to need new seat covers, etc,...so there i am going to have to spend a lot of $$,...........unless i've got some already. you see what i mean? but, if you do all that at once, if you find a car that has a complete interior already, it's worth a couple extra thousand dollars.............because the postage is going to kill you otherwise. and, if you can get the guy you are buying the car from to recieve the new seat covers, carpet, etc,..........he can just put it in the car when he ships it for you............
hope that helps! if you have any other questions, or i can help ya, email me at mightythor99@yahoo.com. will help you if i can.