Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Taillamp panel replacement-step by step instructions??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:01 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Taillamp panel replacement-step by step instructions??

i like to use the unibits they work awesome when drilling out spots welds you can pick them up from home depot etc they are a stepped design so you can easily work in increment of sizes
Old 04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67 evil eleanor

Dave is simply telling the truth. So often people get into things over their heads and thus leads to an abandon project. Now a days you can bring almost anything back up from the ashes, provided that your wallet and skill level can withstand the blow. A lot of what I read on this forum is "opinionated", so therefore, we all have the right to such. Dave has offered his opinion, gave some sound advice, and offered an exhibit on how to fix the panel. Telling someone to leave the forum and go back to their pedestal, especially when they have thousands of hours of experience and are willing to help others.............well thats just plain stupid.
I understand his position, and for most people, it would be completely right. There is no way I could, or most people could revive a car in that condition. I just think it is a bit childish of him to continue posting in 67fastbackshell's threads telling him to ditch his project, even after seeing other cars he has built that were in a similar condition. I would much rather have someone on here with much less experience who is positive and encourages other members instead of just shooting down their projects. And quite honestly, I think his motivation behind his posting is that he doesnt think others are capable of what he (claims) to have done.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:48 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

Honestly dude? GTFO. I'm 17 years old, and have put about 8-10k into my mustang. Even if I didnt own a mustang, I would still be proud to tell 67fastbackshell that his car is sweet. I honestly dont think you deserve the cars you have built if you dont see the beauty in a rusted out shell like this.
LMAO....

"I would still be proud to tell himthat his car is sweet"

ROTFLMAO....

No, I don't see anything beautiful about a rotted out FBthat someone made the correct decision to turn it into a parts carbecause it was toofar gone. Probably because I'veworked on too many Mustangs in similar condition.

At this point of the game, his car is not "sweet" by any stretch of the imagination. It's a rusty hunk of metal with potential. Whether or not that potential is realized or not is up to him. Realistically, every piece of metal on the car should probably be replaced. Your comments here epitomize my earlier frustration with all of the backslapping congradulatory comments made onhis "look at my new ride" post.

Sometimes, these cars start as a POS.They're 40 years old and not always in the best of shape. To take this car and make itinto a restored classic is a LOT of work. I know because I've done it on more than one occasion. It's called "reality".

I am by no means trying to discourage him from making this car a "sweet ride", but"tellinghimlike it is" is much more beneficial than"boy, that's one sweet ride" comments coming from a 17 year old.

I have a feeling that you and I could argue this point for eternity so let's just "agree to disagree".

Dave
Old 04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

I would say it is people like you who ruin the hobby. When I go to a junkyard, I see nice cars in bad shape. An old mustang, to me, is a work of art. No matter what shape it is in, it will always look good. My age has nothing to do with this argument, and I would be willing to bet I am just as 'smart' as you are, even though you may have more experience, so you claim. This forum is about helping others, not shooting them down and telling them their project is nothing more than scrap metal. But I guess we will just have to "agree to disagree."

Good luck with your shell 67fastbackshell, it is beautiful now, and will sure be a great car when it is done.

Also, if I remember right, your taillamp panel was the thunderbird style, like the Shelby's had. Have you considered keeping it that way? I think I would in your situation cuz I prefer that look over the stock 67 lights.