Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Looking to Fix 65 Horn -- The Three Spokes Don't Work, but the Center Does

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:24 PM
CalStang65

Default Looking to Fix 65 Horn -- The Three Spokes Don't Work, but the Center Does

Howdy,
This is my first post, so very quickly, I'm fixing up my dad's 65 coupe. He's had it since 72 ("upgrading" from another 65 that had an overheating problem) and the years have taken her toll, so I figured I'd do what I can to fix her up. I've got a shop manual, a nearby Mustang-only parts store and the local HS shop teacher has been generous enough to let me come in and use all his tools (lifts and all . . .) and help me along the way. There's a whole lot of things that we eventually need to do, but we figured we'd start with easy fixes. One of these was getting the horn to work. Rather than the three spokes functioning to engage the horn, only pushing on the center works (obviously this is not how it's supposed to work).

I bought a new plastic piece (it's circular and has three tabs that affix the spokes to the wheel) that secures the horn spokes with three screws, strechted the spring and have played around with the contacts but to no avail. Although our fixes have restored the "spring" in each of the three spokes (before they didn't move), they still don't set off the horn and the horn only sounds when you press on the center circle. Before I go off and replace the remaining parts, I figured I'd check in with you guys seeing as it looks like the guys here know just about everything. I'm happy to try anything, so any thoughts are appreciated. Let me know if it'd help to upload pictures of what I'm talking about or to further describe it.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking to Fix 65 Horn -- The Three Spokes Don't Work, but the Center Does

i have the same problem and couldn't fix that yet.
are you sure it's a 65 and not a 641/2 mustang? they have different horn setups.
is the contact in there sitting on a little spring (you know like a contact brush)
if yes, then it's a 641/2
Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking to Fix 65 Horn -- The Three Spokes Don't Work, but the Center Does

I would guess that just means your contacts are worn. So in that case, I would just replace the part that has the contacts on it.

Just be glad your horn works at all... sigh...

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 AM
CalStang65

Thanks for your responses. Sorry I didn't get back earlier but I had to wait until I had the tools today to get the pictures (below). Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a 65. I just checked again with my dad and he said that it has "65" in the VIN and that he is also pretty sure it's a 65. He then clarified that apparently because it does not have backup lights it may be one of the earlier 65s. Obviously, I'm all ears if you guys know a better way to confirm the year because I am aware that there are (surprisingly) numerous differences between at 64 1/2 and a 65. I figured the best way to clear this up is to include pictures. Please let me know what you think, and if the best course is to replace the whole thing like "ninteen66mustang" suggested. And you may not have a working horn, but it looks like rest of your Stang is doing pretty well; I'm jealous!

Thanks again!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:11 AM
CalStang65

Oops. I guess I was supposed to reply to this post . . .

Sorry, I'm new to this whole forum-posting thing. Please see my previous post with pictures to hopefully answer your questions.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CalStang65

Thanks for your responses. Sorry I didn't get back earlier but I had to wait until I had the tools today to get the pictures (below). Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a 65. I just checked again with my dad and he said that it has "65" in the VIN and that he is also pretty sure it's a 65. He then clarified that apparently because it does not have backup lights it may be one of the earlier 65s. Obviously, I'm all ears if you guys know a better way to confirm the year because I am aware that there are (surprisingly) numerous differences between at 64 1/2 and a 65. I figured the best way to clear this up is to include pictures. Please let me know what you think, and if the best course is to replace the whole thing like "ninteen66mustang" suggested. And you may not have a working horn, but it looks like rest of your Stang is doing pretty well; I'm jealous!

Thanks again!

haha, ya, one would think so... it doesnt really start that well, and needs some suspension/brake work. but it does look good...