Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

FUEL ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 PM
carigs89

Default FUEL ISSUE

Hey guys.

Firstly let me say that although this is my first post, I've read many of your threads before and found them all incredibly helpful so keep up the good work!

Now for the problem...
I got me 67 a couple of days ago from the states. it hasn't been started in about 4 months, so trying 2 wake her *** up. but i do no for a fact that it did start upon leaving CA.

In a nutshell theres no fuel getting to the carby.
When i turn the ignition the electric pump is running but theres no gas flowing from it. However when i attatch direct power to the pump from the battery, it starts spitting out gas beautifully. I checked the wiring from the battery and there is no evidence of damage and it still produces a full 12.5V at where u plug it into the pump.

I'm stumped. Could there be a killswitch I'm not seeing? what other reason could there be for the pump not working when theres not a direct link to the battery?

Thanks
Sam
Old 04-06-2008, 11:45 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FUEL ISSUE

Does the car turn over at least?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 AM
carigs89

it cranks but wont start (even when i put fuel in the carby). so there may also be an issue with ignition, but at the moment im more concerned with gettin the fuel flowing.
any ideas?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

I bet there is a kill switch. BUT check this ...maybe the pump is wired backwards (I doubt that since yousaidit ran)or there is a bad ground somewhere in the fuel/ignition circuit that isnt giving full voltage to the pump and coil.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I think you should start with the simple test first.

Pull the coil wire and hold near the fender and crank the motor...does it spark?
Put it back into the dizzy

Pull the number 1 plug wire off the plug and do the same thing...does it spark?

This will confirm you have spark all the way to the plugs

Pull the #1 plug is it completely soak in gas now from being extremely flooded because of all your start attempts and pouring gas straight down the carb?

You say you hear the pump turn on but it doesn't pump fluid
But if you connect it direct to 12v it turns on and it does pump fluid

These 2 statements just don't feel like they can co-exist to me so the only conclusion I can make is that when you turn the key you hear the pump 'attempt' to turn on. Get out your meter and measure the voltage at the pump perhaps you have a bad ground and the pump can't fire up completely.

FWIW this is one of the reasons I still run a mechanical pump

Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM
carigs89

yeah im planning to do test ignitiona bit later.

dodgestang it wouldnt be flooded since when we put fuel in the carby coz we crank it till its dry. i did measure the volatge at the pump and its recieving a full 12V!! thats why im so confused.

how can there be a difference between connecting it directly 2 the battery and hooking it all up properleyif we're recieving a full 12V in both cases?!?!?! im sure the current would be the same, and if theres a kill switch i sure as hell cant find it!![:@][:@][:@]
Old 04-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

One possibility is that the wire is partially cut or torn which would reduce it's current carrying capacity but not it's voltage. Another is that the connectors are oxidized. Did this car take a sea voyage? Salt air is bad for connectors. Check the wire and any connectors.

If you pour gas down a carburetor the motor should always cough and sputter.

Check the coil connections. One wire from the firewall harness runs to a post on the coil . This wire should have 12v present with the ignition switch in the run position. This wire is from the ignition. If you have 12v on this wire then check for spark. If you don't have 12v on this wire look for a kill switch by tracing this wire under the dash.

It would be swell if both problems were really only the result of one gremlin.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Montanas Mustang
1st Gear Member

Oxnard is on the right track I think. The difference between a direct connection and one through the wiring harness is the harness itself. If the harness has corrosion or damage to the insulation it may be losing AMPS but not losing VOLTS. The pump may "run" but at a reduced capacity which prevents it from getting fuel all the way to the carb (it can't push the column of gasoline high enough to get it to the carb due to reduced amperage). As Oxnard said, it sound like this car has taken a sea trip and there may be corrosion that is not immediatley visible.

If you have fuel down the throat of the carb in a reasonable amount, it should at least try to kick over if you have spark (and your timing is right...but you said it ran before so I'm assuming it's close). It sound like you have both electrical harness problems as well as igintion issues.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 AM
carigs89

hey. oxnard and mantanas u guys were spot on.

when i connected it, it was recieving full current from the battery. however the wire was corroded in a spot i couldnt see. so the pump wasnt producing enough pressure 2get to the carby.I changed the wires, gave a few pumps of the throttle and first time she was up and running!! so no ignition issues either!!

thanks heaps for all ur help and suggestions.