Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Shelby Taillamp box-How does this attach???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:14 PM
67fastbackshell
1st Gear Member

Default Shelby Taillamp box-How does this attach???

Can someone pleasetell me how to attach these panels?? Do they just bolt up ordo theyneed to be welded to the taillamp panel??-very confused.

Thanks

http://www.cobranda.com/19shtaboxho.html
Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby Taillamp box-How does this attach???

Whoa, whoa, whoa, big fella....

Before you go buying original design Shelby replacement parts, what kind of taillight panel are you going to install? Some (a lot!) of the newly designed FG taillight panels negate the use for those boxes. Those boxes were/are designed for using an original Shelby style FG taillight panel. A lot of the newer FG replacement panels are designed differently and incorporate their own "boxes" into the tail light panel.

Those steel buckets though would bolt-on, not weld on.

T.Branda is not your best friend on some of these parts you'll need. Better deals/pricing on most of their items can be found elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, Branda offers some very nice products,some of which are competetively priced, but nothing they carry isn't available elsewhere and competition drives the marketplace. Branda is not a manufacturing facility, just a distributor like everyone else.

Just trying to save you some $$,

Dave
Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 PM
67fastbackshell
1st Gear Member

hmmm, that's what i thought. Initially i thought that i needed these buckets, but then after scrolling around on the parts sites over the past week i've realized that these really arent necessary thanks to the newer style panels. However, now that i have them i guess i will use them. So, can some one point me in the right direction to which taillamp panel and taillamp units will work with these boxes??
Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't use his unless im restoring a Shelby mustang take a look at http://www.mustangproject.com/Catalo...5-47cd6aad2b01
they have led ones and they stand behind there products youll need there fiberglass panel your looking close to 700 bucks but there brite and will out last a normal bulb
Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 PM
67fastbackshell
1st Gear Member

Are these buckets designed to mount to the outside of the original taillamp panel with the shelby taillamp panel then on top of the buckets?? Or, do they mount inside the car. I have the shelby assembly manual and i cant find any info about the taillamp panel.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:05 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Look at http://www.precisionresto.com/curren...elbygt500.html scroll down to the fiberglass work to gap the deck lid click on that picture.See the big holes in the tail light panel im guessing the bucket things you posted mount on that hole probably bolted on since there not there.OR email these people www.shelbymustang.com unless your trying to do a true shelby clone id get the outer panel with the buckets made in or the led set up i showed you.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM
67fastbackshell
1st Gear Member

So if i understand correctly, i should have the taillamp panel, followed by the mustang panel, then these boxes on the backside of the original mustang taillamp panel. The boxes will be held in place by the bolts from the taillamp and vice versa.

if i were to buy the new style panel with the housing molded in, then i would not need these metal housings.

Correct??
Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 PM
davesanborn
3rd Gear Member

if i were to buy the new style panel with the housing molded in, then i would not need these metal housings.
Correct. You know.... and I'm just sayin'..... there is such a thing as "return shipping". You don't have to use those pieces just because you have them. They're designed to do an original Shelby style conversion and other than this, they're useless.

Dave
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
67fastbackshell
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately by the time i pay the 20 percent restocking fee and the return shipping i am out a good bit. I would rather passa deal onto somebody on the forum or elsewhere rather than back to a company that charges that much for restocking.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

What about ebay them or someone restoring a 67 Shelby.