Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 mustang suspension set up options

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I don't know about your rear springs, but in my '65 fastback, I have the Global West suspension (F&R), adjustable front swaybar, subframe connectors, Koni front shocks & QA-1 rears. Whether it is a good value or is better or worse than other products, I can't say. What I can say that it does handle like it is on rails and is noticably better and more predictable than my '65 coupe was with a Grab-a-trak style setup was. Of course, for the extra money, it better be.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 PM
bigbadbenw777

anybody have the front coilover on their 65-68 mustang? how much better is that set up compared to all the global west suspension set ups? Any reviews from people that are running coilovers would be great!!!!!!!!!!! What more can I do to improve my rear suspension? I already have 5 leaf grabatrak leafs with the racing shackles, I plan on getting rid of the rear air shocks and replacing them with the edelbrocks? or any different suggestions? Oh.....and I do have traction bars......any help or input is appreciated,

Regards....

Ben
Old 12-10-2008, 04:25 AM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

I too am thinking of going with many of the componenets offered by opentracker to rebuild my 65GT front suspension.

On the springs, has anyone gone with the progressive rate front coils they offer?

I am doing the roller perches and an adjustable strut but are the roller UCA and LCAs really all that beneficial for a street crusier considering the stiff extra cost?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 AM
chappys4life

My 66 is pretty much stock excepy for the shelby drop. I want to rebuild my suspension but I am doing it in stages because of money. So far this is what I have planned.

stage 1:
Grab-A-Trak Performance Suspension Rebuild Kit

stage 2:
Grab-A-Trak 5 Leaf Mid-Eye Springs
Grab-A-Trak 620 Coil Springs w/ poly insulators
Poly Spring shackles
Edlebrock IAS shocks

stage 3:
monte carlo bar
front sway bar (not sure on size yet)

stage 4:
Open tracker Make-It-New Steering Rebuild Kit w/ rolelr idler arm
Maybe global west tubular tie rod adjusting sleeves

Things I am still debating to add to the list are:
subframe connectors, traction bars (ex shelby), and adjustable strut bars
Old 12-10-2008, 12:10 PM
bigbadbenw777

sounds like an awesome set up
Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

In my 66 fastback, I have the Shelby drop, 560 lb. springs 1" drop springs, roller perches, a 1" sway bar, and a TCP R&P unit in the front. In the rear, 4.5 reverse eye springs and Koni's all around with 245/45-17s on 17X8 wheel all around. Also, an export brace, monticarlo bar, subframe connectors, and a 4 point roll bar. I should take my first drive in early January if the weather cooperates.

Last edited by fakesnakes; 12-10-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnakes
In my 66 fastback, I have the Shelby drop, 560 lb. springs 1" drop springs, roller perches, a 1" sway bar, and a TCP R&P unit in the front. In the rear, 4.5 reverse eye springs and Koni's all around with 245/45-17s on 17X8 wheel all around. Also, an export brace, monticarlo bar, subframe connectors, and a 4 point roll bar. I should take my first drive in early January if the weather cooperates.
Are you running Koni Classics? Are both compression and rebound adjustable or just rebound?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chappys4life
My 66 is pretty much stock excepy for the shelby drop. I want to rebuild my suspension but I am doing it in stages because of money. So far this is what I have planned.

stage 1:
Grab-A-Trak Performance Suspension Rebuild Kit

stage 2:
Grab-A-Trak 5 Leaf Mid-Eye Springs
Grab-A-Trak 620 Coil Springs w/ poly insulators
Poly Spring shackles
Edlebrock IAS shocks

stage 3:
monte carlo bar
front sway bar (not sure on size yet)

stage 4:
Open tracker Make-It-New Steering Rebuild Kit w/ rolelr idler arm
Maybe global west tubular tie rod adjusting sleeves

Things I am still debating to add to the list are:
subframe connectors, traction bars (ex shelby), and adjustable strut bars
Not what I'd recommend. For one, most of the Grab-A-Trak suspension stuff doesn't have a rubber bushing option, which means you're stuck with squeaky polyurethane bushings that will reduce ride quality. For another, those springs are going to be STIFF, especially on a lighter '66. And finally, your 'stage 3' should be the first things you do, unless you do it all at once.

If you have worn suspension components, you need to figure out what those are so you can plan out what you need to buy. Control arms, tie rod ends, etc. Focus on steering first. If you have bad steering linkage components, they need to get replaced ASAP. Then move on to suspension. If you have bad ball joints or control arm bushings, start looking for (stock replacement) control arms and springs.

Once you fix everything that's obviously worn out, here are some parts I'd recommend:
15/16" front sway bar (poly bushings are ok here)
Export brace and monte carlo bar
*560lb 1" drop springs from OpenTracker
*Roller spring perches from DazeCars
*New rubber upper coil spring insulators
*Shelby drop (template and drill bit available from DazeCars)
4.5 leaf 1" drop spring kit (I'm happy with mine from M+)
Roller idler arm from OpenTracker (if you have a m/s car)
Traction Master traction bars (not cheapo bolt-on jobs)
Subframe connectors

Everything with a * should be done at the same time, since you're going to have the front end torn apart anyway.

This setup will give you a firm but still streetable ride that handles great. Putting ultra stiff springs on the car will make it jittery and unsafe while cornering on anything but the smoothest of roads.