Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Accident update from February's run in with a semi

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 06:05 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default Accident update from February's run in with a semi

Remember this:

http://www.dodgestang.com/crash/

Well

Its been several weeks since I got any photos of the progress on the accident repairs from February so I 'dropped by' and twisted his arm to open up the shop across the street and let me see how the 65 was coming along.

I snapped alot of pictures (all of which you can see here: http://www.dodgestang.com/crash/repairs/) but here are the highlights:

The a pillar is fixed:

The useable sheet metal from the parts car is hung and just about finished prepped:

Door:

Hood and front end peices:

AS you can see, I had to also pick up a ford tooling fender, the driver side fender on the parts car was 'usable' but it would have needed more work than we wanted to invest in the part

I found the elusive weatherstripping stainless at Glaziers Mustang Barn...and I gotta tell you...Fred really came through for me. An excellent peice, an excellent price, and it arrived at my door less than 24 hours after I called for it

John and Timmy are doing a full paint for me rather than painting the front end and blending it in and I think its going to look stellar when done. As you can see in the pics they have sanding the whole thing down (I was informed they have a bit more sanding to do to get some dirt out that was in the old paint job) and they also found the PO of both DT and the parts coupe were in love with filler for small reapirs....so they dug that stuff and properly fixed those little items.

Here's a preview....John spent a lot of hours prepping painting the underside of the hood and then timmy went back and went sanded it for a day cause he wasn't satisfied :wink:...even in a dark shop...it looked quite good.

And for those of you still reading.....

What do you think of the floors on my rust free CA coupe?

:joker: somethings never work out quite the way you planned...as least I know the driver side door is still good (I have a close friend who is getting that) but the rest of the coupe isn't quite as nice as I had hoped. One of the problems of sight un seen...but for the most part I think it has worked out since it has been able to provide alot of the little things that can nickel and dime you to death.

John says they hope to have shot all the paint by the end of the week and then wetsand/buff the following week.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:13 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Accident update from February's run in with a semi

Dang Nick, I didn't remember your run in with a semi. Looks like you are getting it repaired right though. And, what is this with a coupe? Did you buy what you thought was a rust free coupe?
Old 06-12-2005, 09:49 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I bought Coupe out of SoCA to use as a parts car....was 'supposed' to be rust free and all original steel.

One fender was a repro, one rear quarter is bondo, and floors are gone.

Only things I really cared about were the hood, fenders, and doors...so only having one unusable part for purpses of my fix wasn't too bad considering I bought the car 'in-trasit' from the guy who bought it to fix up and sell
Old 06-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Any parts on it you can sell to get some of your money back?
Old 06-12-2005, 03:57 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Hey, that parts car wouldn't happen to have a console in it would it?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Nick said the other day that he had a full length console gathering dust in his garage. Maybe you guys can hook up.