Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

on stock 66 where were the factory am speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uibalnme
There is actually a factory speaker hole in the center of the rear shelf that fits a 6x9. There are even 4 holes for the mounting screws.

The dash speaker is a 4x10. However, there are kick panels with speaker pods for 6.5" speakers. The rear shelf(package tray) can be modified to fit 2 6x9 speakers. Which is what was done to mine(see pic above) decades befor I got the car.
If you want to put 6x9 speakers in the rear package tray with out cutting do what I did and mount them under the package tray in a suitable position.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:43 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
Many of the Mustangs parts houses have these options. I personally like the pair of speakers that replace the single. I don't like the look of the kickpanel speakers.
Have you seen the dual voice coil speakers? The make the round pair type completely obsolete. Compared to the DVC, the old type has very little surface area, giving very poor bass, and lame midrange. The DVC combines both drive coils on a single cone. You only lose the meaningless half-inch of stereo separation. You get great stereo separation if you divide the channels front and rear as I have suggested above.

Old tech:

New tech:

Old 05-17-2009, 01:37 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the info i may go with the radio that looks factory and controls a cd player in the trunk. speakers a dual core 10'' in the center of dash and two 6x9 in the rear deck
Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tempoffroad
thanks for all the info i may go with the radio that looks factory and controls a cd player in the trunk. speakers a dual core 10'' in the center of dash and two 6x9 in the rear deck
That would work very well, of course you'd want to split the channels in the more conventional left/right manner if you did so. The factory deal for 64-67 was a single speaker in the rear, and the deck is punched for it, lending ease and original appearance to my earlier description, and of course there is a dual voice coil 6x9 for this purpose. IIRC, the 68-up rear deck was punched for two speakers. Either way, the repro grille is a very high quality item, a punched steel grille with small oval holes, and a cast metal frame, much better than plastic.

Funny thing, although the 68-73 rear deck in the coupe and non-fold seat fastback was punched for dual speakers, they never offered such an option. The 66-68 Mustang has a pad for round kick panel speakers, but they were never offered, either, although the 67-68 Cougar was available with kick panel speakers. On such cars, there was a square area perforated with hundreds of tiny holes, in the middle of the kick panel, instead of a unique grille, etc. These are not reproduced.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 05-17-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
That would work very well, of course you'd want to split the channels in the more conventional left/right manner if you did so. The factory deal for 64-67 was a single speaker in the rear, and the deck is punched for it, lending ease and original appearance to my earlier description, and of course there is a dual voice coil 6x9 for this purpose. IIRC, the 68-up rear deck was punched for two speakers. Either way, the repro grille is a very high quality item, a punched steel grille with small oval holes, and a cast metal frame, much better than plastic.

Funny thing, although the 68-73 rear deck in the coupe and non-fold seat fastback was punched for dual speakers, they never offered such an option. The 66-68 Mustang has a pad for round kick panel speakers, but they were never offered, either, although the 67-68 Cougar was available with kick panel speakers. On such cars, there was a square area perforated with hundreds of tiny holes, in the middle of the kick panel, instead of a unique grille, etc. These are not reproduced.

This is what I just ordered to use on my rear 6x9 speakers. I got tired of the look of the aftermarket grilles on them.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

FWIW, there were only one or two FM stations around in 66, and most people didn't have FM radios. No one needed stereo speakers then. Most people listened to AM in mono.

To really do it right, order a mustang package tray. Put it in place then trace the speaker holes from inside the trunk, then cut your holes. After that, buy whatever stereo setup you want with some 6x9s for the back. Even with only one speaker in front, you will hear stereo sound in the car. Good luck.

CP
Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Have you seen the dual voice coil speakers? The make the round pair type completely obsolete. Compared to the DVC, the old type has very little surface area, giving very poor bass, and lame midrange. The DVC combines both drive coils on a single cone. You only lose the meaningless half-inch of stereo separation. You get great stereo separation if you divide the channels front and rear as I have suggested above.

Old tech:

New tech:

I actually hadn't seen that yet. I have what they tend to call the upgraded dash speakers that are 2 way instead of 1 way. They sound good. Since I have 3 way 6x9 speakers in the rear and an amp on them, the front speakers are not as easily heard. Does that new version really sound that much better?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:27 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I actually hadn't seen that yet. I have what they tend to call the upgraded dash speakers that are 2 way instead of 1 way. They sound good. Since I have 3 way 6x9 speakers in the rear and an amp on them, the front speakers are not as easily heard. Does that new version really sound that much better?
Yeah, the increase in surface area makes a big improvement over the little round ones. The little high range speakers don't hurt, either.