Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I had returned! with ac problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Damn,,, I thought you bought a Subaru or something!

Welcome Back!!

It is a a/c clutch issue for sure. BUT..

I have A LOT of experience with these York style compressors. They were used EXTENSIVELY on big trucks. I am in the truck line of work, and I pretty much hate to bring a truck into a shop for a/c work because it ALWAYS costs between $600 to $1,200... So I started fixing these myself. I found out that....

1. A new clutch will USUALLY ALWAYS make the compressor start working...

2. USUALLY ALWAYS this fix wont last very long

3 Because there is USUALLY ALWAYS another problem that caused the clutch to go bad.

4. Most of the time the front bearing on the compressor is in process of taking a dump

5. On occasion it is not the bearing, but the compressor will shortly throw a rod.

6. About 10% of the time there is an obstruction in the freon flow OR an overfill condition that will cause the clutch to slip AND go bad. (If the clutch EVER slips it is trash)

My advice is to find a NEW compressor, don't f around with the clutch, it is USUALLY a waste of time and money. IF you shop around you should be able to find a NEW one for about $100 $150 with the clutch.

If you do this CHANGE THE DRYER ALSO....

Don't be a cheap a$$ and try to avoid buying the dryer, it sucks when one of these breaks. When they do, they fill your system with thousands of little "BBs"... that wont ever come out.... then you will need to replace all of the high side hoses from the dryer to the evaporator as well as the orifice/expansion valve.

Do NOT overfill the system, and DO NOT forget the refrigerant oil (but TOO MUCH oil is bad also). I have found that I have not really needed to evacuate the system (I "purge" by wasting a can of R134)...

((EDIT)) -- Oh yea,,, I forgot to mention there is ONE occurrence where it MAKES SENSE to try to fix the problem with a CLUTCH ONLY..... IF you have RECENTLY driven the car with the AC ON, AND the battery very LOW and/or the alternator inoperative. LOW VOLTAGE will cause the clutch to slip (and destroy itself) with an otherwise healthy a/c system. ))

Last edited by JMD; 05-20-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: One Good Reason!